Author Topic: Which Race/Army do you like and why.  (Read 10013 times)

Offline Katharsis

• Nightmare
Re: Which Race/Army do you like and why.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
Time for 'the artist' to weigh in! lol
What drew me to GG in the first place was a cool look machine and the UNE soldiers. Nothing like it was being produced at the time out of Canada, and these 'boyz' were just down the road from me (like i needed another excuse to travel to Toronto).
Marco is very persuasive and charasmatic and he and i (i think) worked well together to develop the Infranites and i still have an incredibly soft spot in my heart for them. To settle the matter here: we really did base them on advanced tribal groups - Amerindians etc. An incredible sense of honour and tough warrior spirits. @Clark: "space elves?! really?" lol
Tom Frank designed some amazing 'outside of the box' ideas and i've always been impressed with how quick he could change hats from designer to artist to storyteller and rules monger!
Clark and i had some opportunities to work together as well, but i'm just the lowly artist and he was one of the bosses... good times that i sorely miss. :(

Arfiel

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:51 AM »
I agree Katharsis. I always though of the Infranites as great hunters much bigger and stronger than the image of a "space elf". As SGT_HASTP posted he even made rules for a  "predator" like special forces figure.

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 10:54:43 AM »
Actually, the Black Empire always seemed more "elvish" (as well as Roman) to me.

An ancient empire in decline trying to hold onto their old glory

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
I started a new thread about Space Elves (?!) and discuss the various archrtypes including "High Men" who are sort of 'more human than human' but not as mystical as "Fairies".  You have to read the whole post and follow the link for it to make more sense.

I don't know if the Black Empire are in decline. As a single empire they are one of if not the most powerful, but the Legions of Steel's appearance was a game changer.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 02:36:15 AM »
I like the sense that the Black Empire is strong and growing, but to some extent hasn't rediscovered its full, ancient, technological heritage. It's like Europe still under the shadow of the Greeks and Romans, even though it was in most respects much more advanced and powerful, there were still these near-mythical ancients casting a shadow across all Europe's achievements, and some specific things the European kingdoms mostly hadn't surpassed a thousand years later. I'm thinking of innovations in the fields of philosophy, politics, mathematics, and civil engineering. As they were separated from those ancient achievements by the Dark Ages, so the Black Empire is kept from its heritage by the tragic flight along the Path, and whatever lies beyond the Rift.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
For the record - Tom Frank's Fantasian army, with the K2Shaws?  Dear God -  getting anything across the table to them was a nightmare.

My army?  Machines.  2 dreadbots, 4 or 5 Mark II's, Snipers, 16 Runaways, and a ton of Nighmares.  (painted, not actually fielded at once.

For the Rock Lobster fans?  The easiest way to make one is steal 4 Bap/Jetbike chaincannon, and locate an old Decipticon.

Can't think of the name right now, but it's a "deluxe" Insecticon, brown, and it's main body is a good standin for the ol Lobstrousity.  Cept for the vintage Cadilac fins.

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I've been thinking for a while now about trying to do a Rock Lobster conversion with this miniature: http://store.dp9.com/images/dp9-9100parts.jpg. The only problem is that I'm not entirely certain about it's size realtive to LoS miniatures.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »
Kindred.....yup. 

I'm not saying the rock lobster was directly influenced by it...but it was definately influenced by it.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
For the record - Tom Frank's Fantasian army, with the K2Shaws?  Dear God -  getting anything across the table to them was a nightmare.

A "nightmare": that is an LOS in-joke.  :P

That is sort of how the Fantasians were supposed to be played, with lots of saturation fire artillery and then their clay pigeons could have a decent fight against whatever survived. 

The Infranites mucked that up with the relative precision of the FROG.  The FROG BAP could nail one section each turn - anywhere on the map - and make mincemeat of them if they were in T-70s.

My army?  Machines.  2 dreadbots, 4 or 5 Mark II's, Snipers, 16 Runaways, and a ton of Nighmares.  (painted, not actually fielded at once.

Designed the Dreadbot?  Must have one  two
Designed the Mk II?  Must have a maniple
Designed Sniperbot? Must have!
Designed Runaways?  Must have enough to take over the most annoying enemy figure!

I must say that the Mk II/Sniper/Dreadbot mix could be nasty with the Assault Fiend assigning or directing leadership while the others take shots at up to 75" if you can get line of sight.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
More notes:  As per discussions with Marco and Dave, I always saw the Infranites as a Namarind inspired race: look at the clan names...Also, the alphabet we used was an Omeshkago Cree (Check that spelling) one.  Marco wanted females to be numerically superior and thus make up the bulk of the line troops so they were...Elf never really came into the fluff concepts.  As for marketing, the "Dial a D**k" nature of the Infranite army was directly cited as a reason for the army's equipment aways being the best...So, power gamers might tend to like them better.  Fortunately, Clark had made a decent points system and play balance wasn't as bad as it could've been.  Lastly, for now, at least, good eye on the Tenskin...I didn't specifically see infranites as Israel, but did see the Tenskin as a sort of Arab, Tamil, North Korean or Basque ish (at least as portrayed in western movies of the time) group with Fantasia as the patron state, much as the USSR was seen to be.)  All that from a spot illo by Dave and a paragraph of description by Marco, plus me needing content to mine for colour plates...in this case, Gregor the fantasian sniper...

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
Tenskin are a faction i would've loved to have seen something released for. Were there ever any plans to further expand the number of factions available in Legions of Steel?
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »
There were still a lot of possibilities with the existing races to make sub-factions:

UNE: National Armies, SOG, Panzerdyne 9000 series, Outland regiments, JEF, Peacemakers
Infranite: Beda tribes and JEF
Fantasians: Privateers, Kezyrists, Spetznas, subject forces
Black Empire: various Krafs, expanded Massakars, subject forces, "ninjas", Templars
Machines: new Overlords but the sky is the limit on potential new designs, Heretics

Plus non-powered troop variations for all. If a satisfactory psionics system was to be had then there would be at least 4 or 5 more figs to cover that off.

And there was the intention of releasing a series of Galactic Plenipotentiates

Beyond that, I don't know of any discussions about completely new races although the Kodin kept catching my attention.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:48:32 PM by Clark »

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
As for marketing, the "Dial a D**k" nature of the Infranite army was directly cited as a reason for the army's equipment aways being the best...So, power gamers might tend to like them better.  Fortunately, Clark had made a decent points system and play balance wasn't as bad as it could've been.

There was the "errata" for the RQP and chain cannon HE that required their firepower to be cut in half.  Marco was not pleased, lol.  Sometimes he was mystified why his cool idea cost so many UPVs.

But stupid us for not going the GW route of planned obsolecence, tech upgrades and arms races.  That is certainly a good way to sell figs.

Offline grendeljd

• Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
And there was the intention of releasing a series of Galactic Plenipotentiates

Was that the 'Pax Galactica' line, of which we saw a few pics on the blue box?
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich