Author Topic: Commandos vs Marines  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
Re: Commandos vs Marines
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
And here I thought this thread was going to be about GW figs (stat and fluff wise) versus GG figs...and, what's with all the hatin' on Space Hulk?  Richard Halliwell's game is a masterpiece in its first edition, unmatched in tension, balance and playability.  It is, however, very specialized and does begin to creak under the strain of expansions allowing for other situations than the presented bug hunts, before finally imploding with the truly aweful psychic rules of the Deathwing expansion.
  Legions of Steel, with its added versatility, does suffer somewhat in playabiliy what with all the status markers and such, but certainly retains its balance and allows for a much wider range of tactical and even (dare I say it), simulatory options.  It would be more fair to compare LOS to something like Advanced Space Crusade by GW or the Star Wars d20 Miniatures game by WOTC/Hasbro.  Halo/Horror/Hero Clix probably has more in common with Space Hulk, as does Grindhouse's Incursion game or Twilight Creations Zombie.  Note that I am firmly in favour of a massive mash up scenario featuring the figures from all of these games using the LOS rules set which I think is the only one that could encompass them all...

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »
...and, what's with all the hatin' on Space Hulk?

I didn't really get the impression from this thread that anyone was really "hatin" on Space Hulk; and I agree with you that it was/is a tight game. I think SH and Legions of Steel produce very different play experiences on the table. If nothing else, I'd argue that the tactical interactions in Legions of Steel are way deeper. I've often told people that Legions of Steel is the Chess to Space Hulk's Checkers. That's not meant to denigrate SH, but express the depth of LoS.

By the way, the psychic rules for SH were in the Genestealer expansion. And, while I wouldn't use them all the time, I quite liked them for what they were.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
Imitation is the most sincere form or flattery.  Space Hulk is an awesome game that we tried to make better.  The fact that we did that annoys  GW die hards. 

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 08:17:25 PM »
Tom, I posted by last as a knee jerk response but looking back to your previous I can see we are on the same wavelength here.

And your opinon ranks high.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »
I haven't played the newest release of Space Hulk but a friend has it - I have to say the plastic figs look phenomenally good in it... insane detail for plastics...
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
I had a couple copies...just sold one recently, and my remaining copy doesn't include the miniatures. While they were very detailed, and arguably cool looking, they had a diorama quality that I personally didn't like at all. I found it both distracting and annoying while actually playing the game.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
I had a couple copies...just sold one recently, and my remaining copy doesn't include the miniatures. While they were very detailed, and arguably cool looking, they had a diorama quality that I personally didn't like at all. I found it both distracting and annoying while actually playing the game.

You're right - the genestealer figs especially had that diorama feel to them, IIRC - that would be annoying.
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
 I think they may have done that so the 'stealers couldn't be used in regular 40k.  I think the Termies are excellent and the Broodlord/Patriarch is probably better than the current one.  The board sections and doors are beautiful and surprisingly, the status display board for the Marine player is quite useful.
  There are a few changes to the 1st ed. rules, most of the damage done in 2nd ed. has been undone and the timer has returned.  Unfortunately, the changes may not have been sufficiently playtested.  With the notable exception of the first scenario, it seems to be way too easy for the Marine player to win.  Still, it's an enjoyable play.