News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: Figures or not figures (cardboard hero style)  (Read 14884 times)

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Re: Figures or not figures (cardboard hero style)
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2011, 05:26:06 AM »
The other three words for business in China are "Watch Your Back"  ;D

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »
The other three words for business in China are "Watch Your Back"  ;D

I've done some of my homework but I would have to do more.  The key is your guan xie or relationships.  If you have someone you can trust then things go a lot smoother.  Plus the other thing that I have learned is that you can trust Chinese business women; the men, not so much.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:08 AM »
I would love to have access to weapons sprues and "bitz" of the UNE stuff.

I'll second that notion - before I got sick of GW, my favourite kit of all time was the original plastic space marine box - it had a ridiculous amount of bitz to customize figures with... and didn't it have enough to make something like 30 figures??

That would be insanely fun for LoS... and customized bitz for machines would help make personalized Omega Fiends that much cooler...
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »
We'll certainly go down that path at one point, particularly for the Privateers.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »
I would love to have access to weapons sprues and "bitz" of the UNE stuff.

I'll second that notion - before I got sick of GW, my favourite kit of all time was the original plastic space marine box - it had a ridiculous amount of bitz to customize figures with... and didn't it have enough to make something like 30 figures??

That would be insanely fun for LoS... and customized bitz for machines would help make personalized Omega Fiends that much cooler...

Yeah, the Mark 1 version of the suits and they were already Ultramarine blue. :)

I wish I had bought more than 3 of those sets.

Some companies will do a weapon/equipment set by it's self. Even if the extras are in plastic and the figure is metal, that is fine with me.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Wargames Factory hired a Chinese company to make their plastic figures.

Now that Chinese company owns Wargames Factory.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
Keep in mind that if the figures are really cool and you use an overseas company (like in Singapor, China, Tiwian, (asia) that there is a very good chance that those same figures will appear in other companies releases of toys.

Seen it and had it happen to WizKids, LLC.

And unless you have a very good working relationship with the parent company (who is making the figures) OR you have lots of money to throw away on legal fees internationally, you will not be able to stop it.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
Wargames Factory is a lesson, yes, but it is my understanding that the..... creative financial arrangements meant that the Chinese company had always, in the final analysis, owned Wargames Factory.

IP violations are rumoured to be why GW won't use cheaper OS factories, but that is because they see themselves as a global IP company. I will tastefully desist from comment on the broader implications of IP in the context of derivative fiction, of course, since I'm a gentleman.

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 11:38:27 PM »
The gold rush of IP in Hollywood, at least, is finally on the decline.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2011, 08:17:10 AM »
The gold rush of IP in Hollywood, at least, is finally on the decline.

How so?  Most big Hollywood releases are based on existing properties, many of which the studios have bought outright (especially superhero comic books).

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
The past couple of years they were buying almost anything. Comicon was as (probably even more) important than Sundance. That's still the case, but it's in the decline.

The basic premise was buy stuff that has already had marketing dollars spent on it. The trouble is that it led to a feeding frenzy where a lot was purchased that wasn't necessarily popular. So I think they're a bit more wary right now. The word fanboy used to be a positive. Now it's definitely seen as a negative.

As for comic books, Marvel and DC are practically studios themselves now. They've proven their value. They aren't considered fanboy, they're considered four quadrant. So I'm not really talking about them. I'm talking more about a self-published comic some guy printed that no one outside of comicon ever heard of.

Everything's still based on something else when you go the cinema. That's not gonna change. I'm just talking about the buying frenzy of stuff that never would have made it to screen, anyway.