rubber-police

Author Topic: Figures or not figures (cardboard hero style)  (Read 14957 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: Figures or not figures (cardboard hero style)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 03:07:19 AM »
I certainly didn't think that anyone here would be trying to pirate LOS figures.  And I haven't been ranting about Amazon or dissuading anyone from ordering from them because I don't have all the intel to make any accusations.

But to get back on track, I don't seem to have an image file for the standups.  Perhaps Marco still has the original artwork. I'll check with him.

At one point we created a demo pack which included some map templates, 4-5 figs per side, an set of rules but with only one or two scenarios. This only comes to mind because of what seems to be the underlying purpose of having 2D standups: to attract new players.

Offline HardRock

• Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 03:39:29 AM »
I have two 'Leaded" black boxes and one "unleaded" black box, when the store I worked at went Out of Business (50% off) for more tiles. A blue box off of ebay later on. Most of my figures came from ebay, including two S1 Arch Fiends. Not that I have found a use for two of them, but I couldn't resist the price on either.

Henry
Henry

"Don't worry, it'll be a piece of cake."

"You can have my slice!" Doc LeRoix - Roughnecks

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »

But to get back on track, I don't seem to have an image file for the standups.  Perhaps Marco still has the original artwork. I'll check with him.
Vile and I know several artists who might be able to (and have time to) do some new artwork if you need it. (Well, Vile knows more currently active artists than I do. ;) )
At one point we created a demo pack which included some map templates, 4-5 figs per side, an set of rules but with only one or two scenarios. This only comes to mind because of what seems to be the underlying purpose of having 2D standups: to attract new players.
Yes in part, but if it will be a while before any 3D figures particular to LOS/Planetstorm will be released, it would nice to have them available as 2D figures. (It could also help keep the spirit alive in some players knowing that they will have new figures available.)

Not sure how much line (B&W) drawings cost, but (stand back Dave has an idea; for the weak at heart, take cover ;) )
it might be possible to have several different front/back views of each figure so that in the downloadable 2D figures, players could choose which image they want for their army.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 02:01:43 AM »
Paper stand up figures have come a long way and can certainly fill the gap in attracting new players to the game.

If you take a look at places like One Monk Miniatures and review the galleries, you will be amazed at the detail, shapes and options a good artist can create.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:27 AM »

Vile and I know several artists who might be able to (and have time to) do some new artwork if you need it. (Well, Vile knows more currently active artists than I do. ;) )

At this point it might be worth mentioning that we have at least two fairly decent artists who are a part of this forum right now, who are fans of LoS and might be prompted to contribute artwork.  :D

Offline YojimboUsaka

• Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
Ebbles puts out some really nice paper models as well and worth a look.  Excellent selection of near sci-fi vehicles and buildings and such.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
On the side topic of art, I have some old stuff I did that I could re-work. I'm pretty random, but I have a critical eye and I'm confident in saying my better work polishes up very nicely. If I find I can still hit a decent note, so to speak, I'll post some stuff.

On the main topic, I am very keen to see the old models back in production. They may not create any converts but they will please old players and create some cash flow for assessing the viability of the line and perhaps funding future expansion, new sculpts, etc. Really, having a game already written and thoroughly tested, with a complete miniatures line (it's complete for tunnel fights and pretty good for tabletop) is an enviable position for a "new" gaming enterprise.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »

At this point it might be worth mentioning that we have at least two fairly decent artists who are a part of this forum right now, who are fans of LoS and might be prompted to contribute artwork.  :D

It won't take much to prompt me to contribute :)
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »
Just a thought: I suppose I would have to resource the door/figure bases.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »
I don't have all my contact information handy but I would suggest contacting GAMA and ask them for a list of manufacturers that make the bases.

I know (remember that is) that there was 2 companies in the US (Canada) and several overseas (mainly China).

You might also try Chessex, as they did stock that for years (or at least they still did back in 2000.

I might know some more later after I find my old listing books (of people and companies). Sorry I can't remember more off the top of my head.

Toy Fair is a good place (was a good place as it is over for this year) to find manufacturers of game products.

In 2 weeks is the GAMA Trade show, you could find some there. More like game manufacturing companies but a few distributors and such.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »
LOS Lives!,  ;D

I found  a copied image online that I have annotated and posted in the media files.  Read, dowload, enjoy.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »
LOS Lives!,  ;D

I found  a copied image online that I have annotated and posted in the media files.  Read, dowload, enjoy.

While I will always have a preference for metal, those stand-ups you posted look great!
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »
Clark, I've got B&W photocopies of virtually all of the concept art that was done for both LOS and Planetstorm.  Time to warm up the scanner I suppose.  Likewise, for what it's worth, I was given a master for most of the miniatures which I designed...Includin g the MK 1, G1 and plasma and blaster armed commando suits.  I'm just sayin'...

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »
Anyone know the cost of building tooling for those nowadays? I have a moulding background myself, but plastics, not metal.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »
Marco has copies of all the masters tucked away. I just need to wrap my head around what kind of distribution model would be best before I contact the Silver Fox.

Casting soft metals is fairly straight forward. Before GG imploded, Marco was doing his own casting, but I think he was contracting the mould making out. Still it wasn't that expensive at one shot. My understanding is that steel injection moulds run in the thousands but have a long life span, but bobloblah would know better.