rubber-police

Author Topic: Fantasian Stormtrooper Platoon  (Read 1870 times)

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
Fantasian Stormtrooper Platoon
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
In Planetstorm there's a listing for a Stormtrooper Command Squad, which kind of begs the question: what is a Stormtrooper Platoon? Is there even such a thing? If not, why a Command Squad?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: Fantasian Stormtrooper Platoon
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:08:07 PM »
We never created a Stormtrooper unit larger than a D-Squad, and the D-Squad was a bit of a white elephant in that it had 11 figs but the Fantasian span of control was only 10. But following from the other units, a "stormtroop" would be 3 stormtrooper squads plus a storm trooper command squad. That could be reinforced with two more squads so you would have three units of 10 figs each (two squads per unit).

Overall, something that would be fun and interesting is to generate more unit organizations for all of the armies using the existing figures.

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
Interesting. So a D-Squad could actually be formed by the Starshina taking direct Command of two of the Platoon's Stormtrooper Squads and leaving the Corporal in command of the rest of the unit. Using Junction Point UPVs, the rest of the unit would be:

Stormtrooper Corporal  83
PKM Gunner 59
SS2000 Gunner 51
T85/34 149
Stormtrooper Corporal 83
Stormtrooper 48
Stormtrooper 48
PKM Gunner 59
SS2000 Gunner 51

Total Cost: 631, 9 figures

Sweet, I think I've finally found a Fantasian Unit to use as substitutes for the UNE in all the scenarios! Only three points more expensive than a Commando Section, and all the best Fantasian toys to play with (2 PKM, 2 SS2000, T85/34).

Meanwhile, a full Stormtrooper Platoon would cost 1,347 and a reinforced platoon with 5 squads instead of 3 would cost 1,925. It's a shame neither of those quite add up to the Commando Platoon at 2,392, but I don't think there are any scenarios that use an entire Commando Platoon, anyway.

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:20:04 AM »
Overall, something that would be fun and interesting is to generate more unit organizations for all of the armies using the existing figures.

I loved the how the planetstorm "exclusive" rules and the cost break you'd get for full units encouraged everyone to play squads instead of simply cherry-picking the most cost effective figures. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing something similar in the boardgame.

While we're at it, in the boardgame scenarios, where are the Commandos getting all that Behemoth and Pioneer support from?

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
The deployment rules from Planetstorm were intended to be brought into the board game (rules 13.10 to 13.18, pages 170-172 in Planetstorm) plus the troop organization rules (0.0 , pages 143 to 144).  With simplified initiative, the organization didn't matter, but we figured there should be some sort of limit to the size of of unit.

And I misspoke myself.  The Fantasian span of control is 12 while the UNE's is 10, so a D-Squad could be one unit and you would have an extra slot for another T85.  But otherwise what I said stands: A "Stormtroop" with 3 stormtrooper squads and a command squad.  Two squads form one unit and the command squad combines with the remaining squad.  A "Reinforced Stormtroop" would have two additional squads combined into a third unit. 

In Planetstorm, without a platoon level discount the latter would be 1533 UPV  compared to 1761 for a Commando platoon.  With the extra 228 UPV you pick up a T85 and a trooper or two.

From Junction Point, a Commando Platoon runs 2392 UPV.  Meanwhile, 5 Stormtrooper squads are 1445 UPV.  A Command Squad would be 480, priced individually, for a total of 1925.  That leaves 467 UPV to buy another manoeuver unit or reinforce the existing ones.

That could be a fun battle, indoors or out with three units each: left right and centre.  The UNE might keep the command squad separate (Lt and Wo + 2 troopers) or else put the commanders in the centre section and peel the troopers off to the left and right.  Meanwhile, the Fantasians have a heavy centre plus either reinforced wings or else with a reserve (a couple of BT-85s do quite nicely).

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
We never created a Stormtrooper unit larger than a D-Squad, and the D-Squad was a bit of a white elephant in that it had 11 figs but the Fantasian span of control was only 10.

FYI, in Planetstorm the Fantasian span of control was 12. I no longer have my playtest rules, so maybe the original span of control was 10 and it was increased specifically because of the D-Squad?

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
UNE 10; Fantasians 12

It was always that way. I am just cleaning the cobwebs out of my brain.