News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: Commandos vs Marines  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: Commandos vs Marines
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 03:15:26 PM »
And the Canadian Rangers are something altogether different.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »
In Australia Rangers keep a look out for forest fires and fine you for littering.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
In Canada,  Rangers, usually native peoples, keep an eye out on the expansive northern wasteland, traditionally looking for Soviet incursions on the far north.  They are a semi-volunteer force who also help train regular military members in the arts of arctic survival

They have the distinction of being the only paramilitary unit that democratically elects their section commander and 2ic.  Typically its the one who has the most wilderness knowledge and experience, as recognized by the other members.

They really are a unique bunch...kinda like old west 'indian scouts'...but on the arctic tundra and ice floes.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »
I never worked with them but some of the guys I knew have.  Picture yourself in the middle of a featureless, snow-covered expanse.  The ore underneath your feet makes your compass spin like a windmill.  "It's this way", the Ranger says, walking off in a seemingly random direction.

You and your buddy look at each other.  "How does he do that?!"

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »
OKAY so now I need a unit of those guys for either the UNE or the Infranites.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:09 AM »
Do Canadian Rangers even deploy as full units?  I was under the impression that they largely operated alone.

Maybe the Infranites have elite scouts called Seekers.  One or two hero points, only use LRE rounds, extra EW, maybe some other goofiness.  They occasionally get seconded to UNE units.  Otherwise they always operate alone (ie. exclusive deployment) They are the closest thing that the Infranites have to snipers.

Offline SteveUK

• Nightmare
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
Hi Clark,
I do have some experience of the UK military, although it is somewhat dated now, I do try to keep updated.
Pathfinders/ Drop troops- the Parachute Regiment has a Pathfinder unit that does just that, they secure landing zones and clear the way for the main drop, they often get attached to our Special forces support group to lend out their skills to the SAS etc. the RAF regiment also have a team of pathfinder types that secure airfields etc, they also work with the SFSG.

As I have already mentioned them, the Parachute regiment tend to be the UK's premier unit along with the Royal Marines for trouble shooting and conflict solving. So I can easily seem them as first on the ground in a Plant fall.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 05:20:36 PM »
So, how big are the Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment?

Our Airborne was Battalion/Regimental sized while JTF 2 is only a clutch of men.  Now we keep one parachute company per regiment. JTF 2 has basically maxed out because to increase numbers we would have to sacrifice the quality of troops.  The USMC has sometimes been called the largest special forces in the world, but even with 300 million people to draw on you typical marine is not better trained than many line troops from other countries.

Offline SteveUK

• Nightmare
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
not very big in  international terms, 3 battalions read here for more information. http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/3471.aspx

The Royal Marines are even smaller in numbers,
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmarines/units-and-deployments/3-commando-brigade/index.htm

hope this helps

Steve

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 01:22:30 AM »
JTF 2 has basically maxed out because to increase numbers we would have to sacrifice the quality of troops.

CSOR has now filled the intermediate position.  They provide specialized backup to JTF2 when required, like US Army Rangers did for Delta in Black Hawk Down (for example).

"In the main, the Canadian Special Operations Regiment enables special operations and, specifically, JTF2; thus, JTF2 can focus on the precise tasks for which they are so well selected and trained. However, particularly in out-of-area operations, we see that the Canadian Special Operations Regiment would be the more appropriate organization to put to the task." (Colonel Barr, commander CANSOFCOM, in Proceedings of the Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence, 27 November 2006.

In many ways its the SSF all over again.  :)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
Go figure: the Royal Marines are Commandos! :P

There are 3 battalions plus another 5 battalions of support.

For the Parachute Regiment, there are actually 4 battalions but 4 PARA is a reserve.  1 PARA is the elite of the remaining 3 and provide special operations support for the SAS etc.

The Falklands war was basically 3 Commando, 2 PARA and 3 PARA.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:36:53 PM by Clark »

Offline SteveUK

• Nightmare
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
Clark, how would you see the Marines and Para's fitting in to the UNE forces?

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »
Clark, how would you see the Marines and Para's fitting in to the UNE forces?

In dealing with interstellar battles there is a blur among marines, para, and "commandos" (who can be either).

The standard organization of the UNE battalion is very organic with an integral commando company and assault platoon.  At present we have no OB for drop troops and the like.  I mentioned the UNE Rangers as fulfilling that role.  Unlike the Falklands, a planetary invasion is not going to be completed by your elite forces alone.

Go back and look at that post.  I envision the UNE Rangers as being a combination of Assault, Pioneer and Recce.  These are drop troops and all are elite (in the Planetstorm sense of the term).  They have some limited combat support units with calliopes and such.

If you have ideas for larger formations, I'd love to hear them.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
Well, actually, I did have a thought about a potential larger unit in a speical scenario.

1 Lt, 2 Sgts, 4 Coropals and 30 PI troopers.

(1 Coropal is a medic)

The 30 PI troops are recruits on their graduation mission. Live ammo, only got blasters no heavy.
They are on a moon doing a drop, along with 2 missions.
First mission is clear and secure a landing zone. All the targets are mocked up Machines that shoot e-balls (these are an electronic version of paintball, that their suits will register and do appropriate simulated damage (suit control AI)  ).
During the night they do rest and AAR with the recruits doing guard patrol duty (just like they would in real life. The next morning they are to do an assualt on a building/structure similar to the day before.

Now for the actual scenario, during the night, 3 different patrol individuals report that they swear up and down that they heard and saw Machine movement.
The DI's put it down as jitters, since they have seen and heard this before.

As the troop moves to assualt the structure, 2 troopers go down, complete suit shutdown? and no chatter/answer from the down suits even when questioned by the the DI's (Not normal)
The LT sends the Medic to check them out while having the rest of the troops continue the exercise.

The 1d6 turns later, the Medic screams Live Nightmares and then commo silence.

The Machines recon ship noticed the training area and had landed the day before, 12 k from the training site. They moved onto the training site during the night and have replaced most of the dummy/auto one.

Ie, half of the known exercise machines are now real. Until they open fire upon the troops, it is not known which are which.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
Forgot to mention that 1 Sgt and 1 Coropal have 1 Hero point each (war veterns;) )
and the PI troopers all have 1/2 normal morale.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.