rubber-police

News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: A question about suppression in LoS  (Read 1513 times)

Offline taurus

• Gremlin
A question about suppression in LoS
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »
Hi all,
Would someone please enlighten me? I've started playing the computer version of LoS, and I'm baffled at how suppression is handled. Have I been playing the tabletop wrong all this time?

If there are already figures in your suppression corridor when you declare suppression, you must fire at each one of them, beginning with the closest. Let's assume there are still a few figures within the corridor after that. It is now your opponent's turn.

What happens if your opponent moves a new figure within your suppression corridor?
The computer game gives you a shot at each figure still within the suppression area. The way I've always played is that you only get to suppress the newcomer, taking all LoF modifiers into account (for example -1 per figure you must shoot past).

I checked the rules (black box 2nd printing and Rules of Engagement), and I am unsure how to understand them:
"When a figures suppresses an area which already contains targets, it must fire at all of these immediately as if they had just entered the square". English not being my native langage, I have trouble understanding the nuance here.
"When a figure suppresses an area" = everytime the figure takes a shot while in suppression mode, or
"When a figure suppresses an area" = when the figure is put into suppression mode ??

Thanks a lot in advance for any insight.

On a related note, suppression is disturbingly powerful in the digital version of the game - you get to take a suppression shot everytime a unit performs ANY KIND of action within your suppression corridor (be it moving, turning or firing), which is (this time without a doubt) a discrepancy with the tabletop rules (where you only get to shoot when a figure moves onto a suppressed square). Factor in the ability to fire at each figure in the suppression corridor each time and you almost have a gamebreaker.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:04:53 PM by taurus »

peterpotente2

Re: A question about suppression in LoS
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Hello,

I also started the PC game. The handbook for that says about suppression:

A unit that has not moved can be set in Suppression Fire.
After selecting Suppression Fire, a target square must be
selected. The target square must be in the line of fire of
the firing unit. The unit will lay down fire in all squares in
its line of fire to the target square. All units (enemies and
friends) present in the Suppression line have a chance to
get hit. Whenever a movement or firing action is performed
in the line of suppression, a shot on all units in the line is
triggered. A unit entering the Suppression line will get shot
at as well. A unit leaving the Suppression line does not get
shot at.
Suppression lines can be blocked by closing doors or Forcewalls.

peterpotente2

Re: A question about suppression in LoS
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
In the boardgame suppression fire (on all figures in the line) is triggered only by any moving miniature.... and when a figure is put into suppression mode.