Author Topic: What Crossover or Conversion games/figures  (Read 7493 times)

Offline TheTraitorJacobson

• Nightmare
    • Gaming with the Gnomies
Re: What Crossover or Conversion games/figures
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 12:27:18 AM »
I just picked up an LOS black box off of ebay , sans minis, but the guy threw in a squad of space marines and a a bunch of the Star War clix robots.    I could easily picture the bots and Stormtroopers duking it out in the halls, without all those silly jedis to mess up the fun.

There are "rumors" :o of a fellow player in Pennsylvania with a fully painted squad of GG Stormtroopers.  They were the sweetest SW minis I have ever seen.  This is yet another reason I get depressed whenever someone mentions WEG

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »
This may be a little disturbing... has anyone here ever checked out the game AT-43? A friend bought me a few minis and I had intended to get the rulebooks because they were pretty slick looking, but they went under due to piss-poor distribution issues. I say disturbing because it bears a very similar back story to LoS, at least at surface level, with the primary forces being a robotic enemy bent on reforming the universe in their image [aka:machine], a human army named UNA [!!!! too close to UNE for my taste!] and another army called the RedBlok, based on a soviet theme [aka:Fantasians!]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-43

I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »
I think those are mostly surface similarities, and are tropes shared pretty broadly in sci-fi. Moreover, I think that if you dig a little deeper into the AT-43 backstory (which, to be clear, I do not play) you discover that [SPOILER ALERT! HIGHLIGHT TO READ] the Therians are actually humans from Earth who've modified themselves into a cyberetic existence.. As for the U.N.A. and Red Block...well, that would mean that any United Nations variant is a ripoff of the U.N.E., and anything that resembles the Soviets is actually a Fantasian clone. That seems like a stretch.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
I agree with you, bobloblah - they are surface similarities at best.

I think it's the coincidence of so many similar concepts all within one game that struck me funny - to have three virtually similar armies as LoS. There are enough twists, such as the Therien origin you mention, to make it its own thing. And of course, LoS pre-dates AT-43.

I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 02:39:07 PM »
I was surprised by the similarity between the Mind Vault and the power pods in The Matrix.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »
I really enjoyed the movie Starship Troopers when it came out...because for me it was Legions of Steel/ Planetstorm.  The soldiers were just UNE non-powered infantry.

It was a fight across the surface of the planet to storm the subterranean complexes looking for the master...

It gave the right *Feel* anyway.

Which is why I did up a Starship Troopers (Movie) conversion.  We used those cheap rubber insects you get at the dollar store for the arachnids.

It was cool to pit the Starship Troopers (non powered) mobile infantry against the Machines too.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
Well then have you seen Starship Troopers 3: Marauder?

I would say that the Marauders are equal to an UNE Super Fortress in fire power in an Hvy Assualt Trooper frame.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
Heinlen would probably be aghast if he saw the Verhoven movie. It basically satirized a lot of the points the original was trying to make. I've read that Marauder is closer to the novel in terms of the powered armour. I'm going to grab it next time I see it in a bargain bin.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:30:14 PM by Clark »

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »
I am a huge fan of the book. 

Believe me, I like the movie for completely different reasons.  One of which is because of the point I mentioned above.

Another good one is the Forever War.  Great stuff there. Power armor too!

Offline HardRock

• Nightmare
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
Copplestone Future Wars makes good non-powered infantry figures. I have a bunch of Neo-Soviet figures on the painting table. Some of the HALO clix figures also, not as much as I'd like. I also have Mongoose Starship Troopers PA from the CGI series and a bunch of Bugs. They would make an interesting biological ally for the Horde.

Henry
Henry

"Don't worry, it'll be a piece of cake."

"You can have my slice!" Doc LeRoix - Roughnecks

Arfiel

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:20 PM »
If you could find the figures, I had a lot of fun using a robotech in another war game. The cyclones would be some awesome fast attack power armour.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »
Hey, didn't we try to put the Guyver into LoS?

I mean, we had Guyvers in everything else...

"Guy-VER!!!"

Arfiel

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »
If you build it .... I will play it!!!

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15:29 PM »
All this talk made me dig out some boxes of Vor the Malestrom

Ripe for Conversions there..
Neo Soviets
Growlers
Union
Shard

Large mix of troops there..from mutants to PI and a few walkers

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »
I am a huge fan of the book. 

Believe me, I like the movie for completely different reasons.  One of which is because of the point I mentioned above.

Another good one is the Forever War.  Great stuff there. Power armor too!

I too love the movie for completely different reasons.  It's a good, layered movie in its own right but it is not RH's vision which I have a certain affinity to.