News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: RPGing LOS  (Read 8736 times)

Offline Brother Jim

• Nightmare
Re: RPGing LOS
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
How about adding in a 50/50 chance that "Faking it" was actually just knocked out with no additional complications (due to the wonders of powered armor technology).

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
Ah, Knocked out, Thanks, I will add that to one of the blanks I left in Scratched.

As for making Faking it 50/50, here is why I say no. (this is not a NO, never ever, no, just no, I do not think so because)

At the extreme end you have dead/MIA, which is dead.
On the positive side that you are not hurt worth anything, then the Faking it makes you want to use the Fate to move it down to Black and Blue or lower if you roll for it on Fate.

I did not want you to roll for an injury and then have no injury at all scott free.
I have not listed the Character generation but in simple layout

You would determine your race, roll your stats, roll your background (where you are born and such), then do school (or not), then join the military (or some other branch, but military is the basic part of the RPG, other careers will come later in supplements).

While doing your military service, you check for each year of service for training, boredom, combat, and boredom with some more combat. Each combat check, if you are in combat, you check for survival from the combat.
You can survive, with out injury or with injury.
You can also receive a kill, which will still make you roll on the injury table but at a -3.

Depending on what military path you take and what mission you had that year, will determine what the chances of survival will be and the chances of injury from that mission will be.

Hope that makes some basic sense.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »
Thats a pretty tough chart. My question is how are you dealing with downtime.?

Lets say a group of PCs get involved in a boarding action. This group has been assigned/hired/forced to investigate a derelict craft.

The boarding action reveals a machine infiltration unit, stowed onboard. Their mission to get inside of a UNE comm satellite and hack it. A firefight ensues...

The battle results in 3 of the 5 party members wounded and down for 7 weeks. The LT. died from a Disruption grenade.

LT Player is rolling a new character
3 Players are down for 7 weeks

What is the effect on the campaign? Do they have alternate characters? Is the module/adventure designed in such a way to compensate for these eventualities?

The healing penalty is also pretty tough. A follow up engagement 3 weeks later would result in a -4 combat modifier? I am not familiar with the system but is that pretty hefty?

From a heroic perspective having a random "I was faking it event" is tough as well.  What if my character would rather die than fake it? Does an elite UNE commando even fake it?

A couple of options is healing resources to speed these things along. A medic class. Equipment that allows for a more rapid recovery.  Like a bacta tank from Star Wars or health injectors/combat stimulants and pain suppressors or something along that line. Expand on the equipment in the universe. There has to be some advances in the medical field as well...

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »
My apologize for not being clearer on the chart usage. It is only for Character creation.

I did not create it with the concept of being used all across the board in the games or even during normal RPG game.

Now, if you would like to see such a chart used for all injuries, please feel free to make suggestions.

When I was making this chart, it was under the concept of how Burning Wheel and Traveller RPG's create characters.

Thanks for the suggestion and comments.

Dave Chase

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
In Burning Wheel, you can play Orc characters. They are nasty, driven by Hate, and very cool. They start out pretty weak, but you can add life-paths to them and beyond a certain point they tend to turn into very hard combatants. Downside is you have to test for permanent injuries like lost limbs.

Is that what you're working on here? You can take additional life-paths as Commando and so on, and get seriously powered up for combat, but the downside is the possibility of anything from PTSD to missing limbs?

I mean, tunnel warfare makes the Somme or the Pacific look civilised (and in the main timeline the LoA is short of manpower all the time) Characters who'd been through it would be BAMF's but probably got pensioned out for a reason.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
smokingwreckage, that is a cool idea

Dave Chase

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
Sounds like the old Traveller character creation rules where you had to make survival rolls after each tour before you even started playing the character.

The campaign rules in Junction Point basically meant that only a third of those "killed" actually died. They went into a casualty pool and then at the end of each scenario, 1 in 6 died, 2 in 6, and the rest remained unresolved.