rubber-police

News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: So tell us about the Open License  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
So tell us about the Open License
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »
Care to discuss your ideas around the LOS "open gaming" system?

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: So tell us about the Open License
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
The idea is to strip out all of the fictional content and create a legal structure for anyone who wants to make a modern (20th century or later) miniature game so that they have ready-made rules and do nothing but give a nod to where they go them from.  The beauty of it is that if I play game X and you play game Y but they are both based on the same system, then  - with a robust UPV regime - I can pit my army against yours in all sorts of "what if" battles.

People are doing this as we speak - on the table but under the table if you get my meaning - but I think there should be some offical way to acknowledge and accomodate that.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
I likely don't follow the rpg/mini's industry as closely as others on this forum might, but it seems to me that since WotC took over virtually everything, it has become very common [if not the norm] to develop rules systems to be as generic based as possible to allow players more flexibility to adapt whatever random collection of mini's they have to a particular system. It can't hurt LoS to go this route...
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:11:53 AM »
The "generic" trend started a few years before WotC with the release of Champions and then the Hero Game system.  For miniatures, I'm not so sure.  I any event, the LOS system is not all-encompassingly generic because it really only captures the flavour of the  20th century or later, particularly WWII and thereafter. 

The point is, the idea isn't about Legions of Steel itself.  The idea is to free other creative types from the burden of coming up with a solid game system so as to let them focus on the figs, the history, the fiction and such.  It is whimsy to have Commandos, Daleks, Imperial Stormtroopers and Terminators fighting it out on the same board, but that is what makes it so cool! I want to put in place a legal structure so that bit players are not cowwed into hiding.

It would lay the foundation for "official" conversions of the figures between the systems, which is all good because players could choose the system while buying the figs they like.  A miniature game should live or die by its miniatures and not by its rules.

Certain interests will want to keep an unbreakable link between their rules and figures but that is either sheer ego, or - to coin a phrase from The Matrix - another level of control.

It's all very Darwinian in that the "good" game systems will evolve to players' satisfaction.

You have to think of what the motivation of, say, GW would be to veto conversions of their figures into LOS?

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:06:49 AM »
You have to think of what the motivation of, say, GW would be to veto conversions of their figures into LOS?
Profit. Do they have any other motive anymore? The changes to their rules over the past decade or more have consistently trended towards requiring more miniatures to play. Anything that allows players to play with fewer figures is undesireable for them.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:57:29 AM »
GW and RIFTS are two that dont want anyone else trying to do any conversions of anything.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
GW is an IP company. Which is a bit odd considering they were, historically, just doing a blatant sci-fi mash-up. Point is, they want total control of their universe, and it makes sense from their POV; when you play a Space marine against an Ork you know what you're getting (WYSIWYG as long as you're up-t-date with Codices, oh sorry, Codexes, which by the way are TM of GW, just like Apocalypse and Space Marine and, and, and...) but also GW controls the experience. For most people it's not a game, it's consumption of product. And people like their product to be nice and predictable.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »
GW moved to being fully-vertically integrated and then like to pretend that the rest of the industry didn't exist.  That keeps the kids coming back to the same corporate owned stores and all the profits along the entire supply/value chain stay with GW.
Think if Apple controlled 90% of the computer market: do you think they would bother allowing a way to sync your iPad to your Windows-based PC?

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 06:22:27 AM »
I hate to mention Reaper, but they've gone on to gradually release paints, brushes, wargames, the whole bit; clearly there is a business case for milking brand loyalty mercilessly.

Offline KrisM

• Gremlin
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
The idea is to strip out all of the fictional content and create a legal structure for anyone who wants to make a modern (20th century or later) miniature game so that they have ready-made rules and do nothing but give a nod to where they go them from.  The beauty of it is that if I play game X and you play game Y but they are both based on the same system, then  - with a robust UPV regime - I can pit my army against yours in all sorts of "what if" battles.

I like this idea.  I'm really good at coming up with content, and having such a great system ready to go would be most-awesome.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »

I like this idea.  I'm really good at coming up with content, and having such a great system ready to go would be most-awesome.

I too was very interested from the start. I have tons of ideas and content as well. I have built a pretty well fleshed out Post Apoc background that the LoS rules would fit nicely.

I have built a few other systems but wouldn't mind keeping them in my back pocket and developing something around an established and proven game system.

If the LOSOGL becomes a reality how much customization is allowed - or does that fall into the "core rules" diagram you posted some time ago.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »
You need to refer to the "Rules Matrix" in the media section.  One of the dimensions is explicly about designer intent so that will always be a factor in cross-universe encounters.