News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: Well, THAT was awesome.  (Read 2262 times)

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Well, THAT was awesome.
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:14:38 PM »
Just woke up from one of those "totally real" dreams. The Machines had shown up in human space; so I'd re-enlisted. Still had the helmet from my old Paladin armour, I was with a big multi-national mob at some mothballing facility out in the countryside (or the colonies) getting ready to suit up. I was just hoping that in the ad-hoc mess I didn't get shoved into a Sergeant's role just off prior experience.

....which in real life is zero, but apparently in LOS-intrudes-on-my-dreams-land I'm a veteran...

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
Re: Well, THAT was awesome.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
Haha, thats an awesome dream man! It would be a good snippet of an idea to write a story about...
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:04:54 AM »
I clearly remember the emotional content: this is a farce, I hope we're not as screwed as it looks like we are, and can I scrape together a decent squad out of these losers (including myself!). Sh*t I hope we can stay alive, the tunnels are a meat-grinder...

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »
The "hoplite" helmet that has been adopted for the tablet/PC game will become known. However, the "wolf's head" helmet is iconic, and if you have half-inch, collapsed steel rounds raining down on you, 6 inches of  zirconium  in front of your nose offers a bit of comfort.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
I clearly remember the emotional content: this is a farce, I hope we're not as screwed as it looks like we are, and can I scrape together a decent squad out of these losers (including myself!). Sh*t I hope we can stay alive, the tunnels are a meat-grinder...

Something I learned in my time with the military is that there is always somebody better.  When I was an awkward kid I got picked on all the time. After I joined the military I only had one potentially violent encounter and it involved me staring down three guys. It was a Karate Kid Moment: learn to fight so you never have to.  In my regiment I was one of the top three shots, top in bayonet combat, and decent in hand to hand generally. Then I trained with the airborne engineers.  They are airborne, demolition experts, most are one or more of HTH experts, crack shots (something short of sniper level), navigation, weaponsmiths etc.  There are at least two levels above them with - as far as we know - JTF2 being the best of the best in Canada and amongst soldiers worldwide.

But the other thing I have learned both from movies and personal anecdotes is that luck is more important than skill, when you get right down to it. There are two types of heroes: those who walk away and those who die trying.  In game terms, just a die roll separates them.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »
I've heard it said that a real soldier, when asked if he'd rather be lucky or good, will always answer "lucky".