rubber-police

Author Topic: Is there any point?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline gdieckhaus

• Nightmare
Is there any point?
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
Has anyone heard anything from Clark?  Is there any point to the kickstarter / etc discussions without him.

I was very excited that LOS may be reborn but it seems as if Clark has abandoned this group.

Gregg

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
Re: Is there any point?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
Yup, there is a point.
Actually one of the reasons a few are not posting much is because they are waiting for our answer.

Sure Clark has not been active on this forum, but several of have been active behind the scenes trying to get LoS going again.

Actually what could help, is activity of some sort. Like discussing what scenarios or rules were your favorites. What you would like to see, if the game is re-released, in addition to all the old stuff being produced.

I have been working on some parts that until we get a final word from the IP holders, I can not go much farther. Why, because until the IP is given over or parts of the IP given over, we can not move things forward.

Why not put it into the public and build interest?
I would love to, but when working on certain parts of an agreement, not everything is for the public and too much public input on the business side of things only causes more heart ache and gives our competitors too much information about what we are doing.

I kind of feel like I am the Orc Taskmaster from the Hobbit, with the song, 'where there is a whip, there is a way' playing in the background.

I have been pushing regularly that we need to get LoS moving. The other individual has been talking with the IP holders and doing a good job of it, so I do not interfere with that, but every now and then, the old verbal whip comes out and says, let's get it done.

Now, I know that I did not tell you a whole lot but this, things are being worked on. If we get the IP control, things will move forward.

Dave  Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline gdieckhaus

• Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Nice to know that some "background" discussion is taking place... It just seemed like there was a lot of hope and not a lot of "reality".

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:03:38 AM »
Such things take time. Few people with the wherewithal to make things happen have much time.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »
What was it the artist called Prince said? "Dearly beloved. We have gathered here today to get through this thing called life!" Legions of Steel was my life for 3+ years. However, **** happens and I end up a divorce lawyer and Marco goes into publishing and then movies, so this life got left behind.

But it doesn't mean I stopped caring.  ;)

In September of 2011 I took a 10 month contract in China because I was staring at unemployment but with no unemployment insurance.  The internet in China is. . . peculiar.  For the last 12 months I have been trying to set up something else in terms of a career.  There is an iffy chance that I might be returning to China in August, but we shall see. As of next Wednesday, I have no classes so I have more time to think about other things.

First on my agenda is to set up a corporation and license Legions of Steel to it.  My original idea was to put a bunch of you guys on the board of directors and give you free rein to move LOS forward.

I've had some conversations with some members and been watching the forums and the question is what relationship we can all have to the project. I hate to be crass but that is my lawyer/business mind asking "how do we put money into this and how do we get money out?"

I have no had further discussions with Marco about the old figs getting reproduced. However, he has indicated an interest in participating in the whole project if it moves forward.

Give me a month to set things up. I intend to post more here in that time, so maybe we can get some "buzz"

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:25:07 AM »
"how do we put money into this and how do we get money out?"

I don't call that crass. I call it starting from the right assumptions.

Offline gdieckhaus

• Nightmare
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
Clark!
Glad to see you are well.

I knew that for this to move, you would have to be involved.
My original post really should have said... has anyone been in contact with Clark?

Gregg

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:31:02 AM »
I am always just an email away, but life tends to distract me.  Let me check my finances and on Wednesday we can talk more.

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
I hope the 'buzz' continues...

I have been lurking for some time and pray the day comes where LoS will be a retail item again.  I've got more LoS swag than any store could have ever had (literally double digit multiples of just about everything, including map packs).  I have bought and subsequently sold off many game systems over the years, but the boxes and boxes of LoS stuff is the holy grail in my gaming world.  I have written numerous LoS scenario books, unit/fig variants, etc for personal use to expand my fix.  I can't help but express my love for this game since I first laid eyes on it at Origins oh so long ago.  I still have pictures from those early years of playing it at conventions.

My point?  If there is anything I can do to help (demos, etc), even if it's just to continue cheering from the sidelines, I'm there.  I have written a couple rule books over the years and appreciate the effort that goes into what your trying to (re)do Clark, so keep it up!

Honestly, I've looked very seriously at only a couple Kickstarter projects yet have never actually signed on for them, but I do see the big upside to it for LoS.  Hopefully you'll give it the attention it deserves as a possible re-boot.

Good luck with whatever your deciding on and I'm here if you need.

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »
It just seemed like there was a lot of hope and not a lot of "reality".
Even with the conversations going on, your statement still basically holds, and I say that as someone involved behind the scenes. Who knows what's going to happen, but at least having Clark and Marco involved it's a step in the right direction.

"how do we put money into this and how do we get money out?"

I don't call that crass. I call it starting from the right assumptions.
No, not crass at all, and if there's any hope of some kind of re-release ever happening, these kinds of basic conversations have to happen.

I hope the 'buzz' continues...
As was said above, then keep posting!
 ;D
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 11:07:03 PM »
I had one model in mind but I am thinking now of the second model:

I/we set up a company to relauch LOS.
I license that company for a reasonable royalty.
You do your best to get the products out to people and make as much money as possible in the processs.

I will have to look more closely at cooperatives, but that might be a more appropriate business organization. That is: the owners are the customers and/or producers.