Author Topic: Resin Copies  (Read 994 times)

Offline Wyatt

• Nightmare
Resin Copies
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
Having found this site has inspired me to dig out some of my old LoS minis and start painting again. One problem I'm having is that I find the models from the Black Box a little dated and uninspiring. I much prefer the UNE infantry with the separate arms over the fixed pose of the commandos in the BB. I don't have a lot of the infantry and and would like to convert them to commandos. Additionally I don't much care for the look of the commandos weapons, the plasma projector in particular, and will be scratch build or swapping them out with something else. All this leads me to the subject header. In order for me to do this I'm going to need a lot models and model parts, none of which are available. I've got some free time in the next couple weeks and thought I will make my own mold to cast resin copies. I was wondering if anyone has already tried this and has any tips. Additionally I was wondering if I should photograph it and make a tutorial or would Clark consider this an infringement on his IP.

Offline Wyatt

• Nightmare
Re: Resin Copies
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
Additionally I wondering if anyone had any other ideas or inspirational pictures of what they would like to see for updated commando weapons. I rather like the look of WH40Ks plasma/melta weapons and am also looking through some of my old heavy gear minis. The snub gun looks particularly promising.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »
Its a hobby, man - mod'ing figures & scratch building customs is what its all about. The only time you'd need to worry about copyright infringement is if you were to try mass producing or re-selling your casts.

I say go for it - I agree with you that the original basic UNE figures are not as cool as the later versions with the separate arms. Many feel the same around here, and if we can get LoS back, getting new versions of some key fig's is near the top of the list of 'want to do's'.
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »
No-one is making or selling LOS figures, and the ones that sell go for less than current retail for metal figures that size, so I see no possible harm in recasting for your own use. Had I the time I'd do the same.

40K has really produced some nice weapon models over the past decade or so; I agree that they'd make for some fun and good looking conversions.