Author Topic: Here is a thought on increase short term revenue  (Read 4862 times)

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
Re: Here is a thought on increase short term revenue
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »
...but it was as an investment, not a donation.

True.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
How about pre-ordering re-sculpts or new miniatures or new books, etc?

That's standard. What isn't standard is to get the money in advance. There might be a program with Export Canada to fund a run of the old figs for distribution into the USA; an export development loan. It would be as little as $6000 for a dozen of each which would be recouped at normal wholesale rates.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
I have seen money in advance done, with the Heresy Miniatures Dragon.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
I'm sure it's done but it isn't standard at the distributor level. They usually get net 30 or something. It's more common in retail but not so much with consumers ordering a product that hasn't even been cast yet.

I suppose if there was enough hype for a re-release and we had credit card capabilities we could generate sales and then do the run for the release date.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
Just re-visiting this idea for a moment.

There is merit to having something along the lines of Dave's idea as part of a kickstarter campaign. The Deadzone game by Mantic currently running includes a limited number of [big dollar] pledges that allow for designing your own character & having a unique sculpt made for it. And some were bought up, even at something insane like $5000 per pledge!

Also note, I now follow Ninja Division on facebook [the studio designing the Robotech Tactics game], and they recently held a contest to send in submissions of your own personal Veritiech squadron design & insignia. The chosen winner will have their unit written up & illustrated in the main rulebook for the game. This was not part of their kickstarter.

I think Dave is onto something, with the main difference being that these current examples are much more controlled in nature than Dave's extensive idea. I think a limited number of options/offers to design your own UNE unit to be used in game could be a big plus for a possible LoS re-lunch Kickstarter.
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
I got my idea from 3 places

Been watching Kickstarter popular ones and see how they have been doing it
I know from personal experience (WizKids, LLC) what some fans what for figures
I know what I would want if I had the money to burn in a game that I really liked.

Kickstarter is now starting to draw more and more people to it, but that does not insure that people will find or buy into your product.

So, no matter what we offer, we have to get the word out.

If you check the history there are some kickstarter projects that had to try 2 to 3 times before they got funding.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »
There is merit to having something along the lines of Dave's idea as part of a kickstarter campaign. The Deadzone game by Mantic currently running includes a limited number of [big dollar] pledges that allow for designing your own character & having a unique sculpt made for it. And some were bought up, even at something insane like $5000 per pledge!
These kinds of crazy options are definitely a must! I followed a recent "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit with two of the principals of Autarch (an RPG company and publisher of ACKS), which was during their Kickstarter campaign for their 3rd or 4th product release (which I pledged for), all of which were through Kickstarter. One of the questions was relevant here. Allow me to quote:
    wmarshal 3 points 17 days ago
    • What would you say are your top 3 "do"s and "don't"s for crowdsourcing?

apmacris 3 points 17 days ago
      • Do - have the majority of the product finished before you start the kickstarter - leave room to modify the product based on feedback from your backers - add some backer levels at tiers higher than you think anyone will go for
      • Don't - forget to factor in the cost of shipping - pay yourself before the product is finished - offer a bonus goal you can't deliver

I think Dave is onto something, with the main difference being that these current examples are much more controlled in nature than Dave's extensive idea. I think a limited number of options/offers to design your own UNE unit to be used in game could be a big plus for a possible LoS re-lunch Kickstarter.
Like the Autarch guys mentioned, having those kinds of out-there pledge levels that get somone personally inserted are important. Also important, particularly for miniatures-based Kickstaters, are stretch goals that end up giving people more product. It's that extra thank you to people who are fronting you money for your project, and will often encourage people to significantly increase their pledges if the perceived value of those higher pledges is much better.

If you check the history there are some kickstarter projects that had to try 2 to 3 times before they got funding.

Dave also brings up a really good point about some Kickstarters needing several attempts to hit their funding goal. LoS is as close to dead as a game can get, and there needs to be effort expended on revitalizing some interest in the game before attempting a Kickstarter. I've mentioned some ideas on these forums before, and Grendeljd has brought some up to me offline, too. It's an issue I wouldn't mind brainstorming a bit more.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline grendeljd

• Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 08:38:28 PM »
These kinds of crazy options are definitely a must! I followed a recent "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit with two of the principals of Autarch (an RPG company and publisher of ACKS), which was during their Kickstarter campaign for their 3rd or 4th product release (which I pledged for), all of which were through Kickstarter. One of the questions was relevant here. Allow me to quote:
    wmarshal 3 points 17 days ago
    • What would you say are your top 3 "do"s and "don't"s for crowdsourcing?

apmacris 3 points 17 days ago
      • Do - have the majority of the product finished before you start the kickstarter - leave room to modify the product based on feedback from your backers - add some backer levels at tiers higher than you think anyone will go for
      • Don't - forget to factor in the cost of shipping - pay yourself before the product is finished - offer a bonus goal you can't deliver
All valid points to consider. Some common sense there, but I imagine some people don't put together a good business plan before launching their campaigns. It might be trickiest to avoid offering things you can't deliver. I can't believe how extensive a figure list [with modified bits as add-ons] the guys at Ninja Division were able to tack onto the Robotech game. That was some serious ground-work done ahead of time.

Dave also brings up a really good point about some Kickstarters needing several attempts to hit their funding goal. LoS is as close to dead as a game can get, and there needs to be effort expended on revitalizing some interest in the game before attempting a Kickstarter. I've mentioned some ideas on these forums before, and Grendeljd has brought some up to me offline, too. It's an issue I wouldn't mind brainstorming a bit more.

I am wondering what happens to the businesses that run failed campaigns... do they get charged a fee for running one regardless of success? I would think it would be bad for business on Kickstarter's part if they charged a fee for all campaigns, but maybe they have to, to cover overhead costs? Considering how much they make on the successful ones, I doubt they would bother.[/list][/list]
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
I believe KS runs on a percentage of pledged funds from successful projects. there might be a set-up fee, but I don't know, it would have to be a flat fee, and given some projects I've seen, not much money.

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
I think it is 5% of the pledged money, after collection.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter+basics#faq_41854