rubber-police

Author Topic: Plasma Grenades  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: Plasma Grenades
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
*Whoosh*HOLY CRAP!
*Whoosh*HOLY CRAP!
*Click*Aw, crap, I'm empty!

Offline YojimboUsaka

• Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
We had a slightly different take on the Plas-G.  We used the wounding rules (the to kill number or one worse was a wound) and found the Plas-G may not kill a lot of stuff but it sure did maim it pretty good.  As Clark said you never threw just one of them, more like 3 or 4 and you would soften up pretty much any hard target around the corner.

Overall we never saw it as a problem just one of the balancing factors for the UNE who had strengths elsewhere.

Charles

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »
I messed around with the rules for both K-pulse and Plasma grenades, as both bothered me in terms of effectiveness and conceptually (...why does gravity affect different mass targets differently? ...why doesn't plama do so, but only in grenades? ...what good is armour then?). What I quickly discovered was something I'm guessing Clark et. al. found out in playtesting: adjusting Kill numbers by even one has a massive effect. Change the Kill number on a plasma grenade in Planetstorm to 5+ and you've just doubled its effectiveness (which is calculated on a limited scale). Now think about how many a UNE Section can lob. It just hadn't hit me until I tried it. That lack of granularity is just an inherent problem for a d6 only game (not that I want to change). Maybe you'd have more room to play if you made Grenades subject to Pinning (we always assumed they weren't)?
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
We had a slightly different take on the Plas-G.  We used the wounding rules (the to kill number or one worse was a wound) and found the Plas-G may not kill a lot of stuff but it sure did maim it pretty good.  As Clark said you never threw just one of them, more like 3 or 4 and you would soften up pretty much any hard target around the corner.

Overall we never saw it as a problem just one of the balancing factors for the UNE who had strengths elsewhere.

Charles

Sure this is my creation but the test is what makes for a good game and that can only be answered by the people that play it.

The prime function of these sorts of discussions is to create a common gaming "language". 

Prepare to be assimilated, lol.

Instead of house rules we need a solid set of rules with variations that can  satisfy everyone, so long as we are speaking the same language.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 07:53:39 AM »
Due to input from local commanders, the UNE technicians developed what would come to be known as the "mini-plas".  While using the same technology as the plasma grenade, the mini-plas creates a wash of plasma over its 3" burst radius rather than distinct fragments.  The downside is that the weapon only causes superficial damage to vehicular targets and heavily armoured powered infantry.  The upside is that it is far more effective at neutralizing lightly armoured powered infantry as well as non-powered infantry.

The mini-plas is identical to the plasma grenade but uses general modifers and gets a +2 modifier against  NPI and a -2 modifier against LV targets.

The UPV change is negligible (about -3 points for each fig that take up this option under current rules but that would change with the release of Stormfront).

Is that an acceptable fix, sergeant_hastp?

Offline YojimboUsaka

• Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:51 AM »
I hear giggling from the Infranite camp and some serious crying from the fantasian side of the world.

Mini-Plas, also known as instant bacon.

I like it.  Larger area then the K-pulse but not as hard hitting in the impact square.

Charles

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
The UNE don't generally fight the Infranites, what with the JEF and all.

The standard K-pulse goes 4-5-6

The mini-plas goes 5-6-6-6

Against NPI, the mini-plas would be 3-4-4-4
The K-pulse would be 2-3-4-5-6-7-8

This discussion made me think of the new HE rounds the Israelis are using.  Instead of your normal shrapnel they use tungsten dust.  The effect is a smaller effective radius so it reduces collateral damage, but sahuman caught in the burst radius is basically vapourized.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »

F'ing stellar!

I knew those R&D eggheads would be able to pull through for the lads!  I'll be sending them down to the QM to draw full battle loads on their next roto.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »

F'ing stellar!

I knew those R&D eggheads would be able to pull through for the lads!  I'll be sending them down to the QM to draw full battle loads on their next roto.

Oh crap. So much for my 'Gremlin Swarm' tactics! lol
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »
The Gremlins have to pull out the crew-served, tripod mounted Thumper.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »
The Gremlins have to pull out the crew-served, tripod mounted Thumper.

Give 'em a tri pod mounted Blitzer Catapult and we'll see who still has the balls to laugh at a gremlin, lol!
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
That would just be nasty!