rubber-police

Author Topic: Battle Report - Clear and Secure scenario  (Read 1781 times)

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Battle Report - Clear and Secure scenario
« on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
Alright, as promised, here's the AAR for the next game we played (last night). It was originally supposed to be a big, three-player affair, using the "Into The Mix" scenario from the Alien Sourcebook; unfortunately, one of our players had to be at a conference in Vegas for the week, so we settled for scenario number two from the Black Box...

Unlike our previous game, this was a scenario I had played before (in my distant past). That meant I had a slight advantage over my opponent, but, considering my last performance, I was going to need every possible advantage.
 ;)

I know I said I would strive for some more interesting pictures for this AAR, but the reality is we were gaming under a slight time pressure, and I ended up with shots just about as boring as last time. Fortunately, my gaming companion pulled out his new iPad 3 and snapped a few shots that were a bit more interesting.

Speaking of whom, the person I was playing with is The Player Formerly Known As "Bon Jovi" from my last AAR. He has since signed up here under the member-name Pif.

For those unfamiliar with the scenario, it requires the UNE player to wipe out the Machines on the board. Complicating this is the fact that the Machines receive infinite G1 Nightmare reinforcements from two entryways, one per turn at alternating entries. These entry points are on the far end of the map from the UNE deployment room. The UNE can stop this process by destroying two computer terminals, one at either side of the middle of the map; each terminal destroyed disables reinforcements from the corresponding Machine entry point. The Machine's goal is simply to wipe out the UNE forces. Got all that?

Throughout these posts the bottom of the images will be referred to as "the right flank" and the top of the images will be "the left flank."

UNE Forces:
1x Commando Section, FCL (628 UPV)

Machine Forces:
1 Mark I Assault Fiend, FCL (121 UPV)
6 G1 Nightmares, FCL (252 UPV)
∞ G1 Nightmare reinforcements, FCL (42 UPV each)

Setup

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:48:27 PM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
Re: Battle Report - Clear and Secure scenario
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:43 PM »
Turn One
We diced for Initiative on the first turn, and the Machines handily won the roll. I had already started worrying in my head that this was a bad start for the UNE when Pif told me to go first.

???
Hunh?

That was not what I was expecting. I'd played the scenario before, and I knew that a mad rush for the Computer Terminals was crucial to avoid being overwhelmed by superior Machine numbers. Anything the Machines could do to get into position to slow the UNE down was helpful. To be fair, I think Pif was thinking along the same lines as I had been the last time we played: let my enemy commit to a plan before I have to.

As it stood, my Commando Section split into two groups. The left flank had a Commando, followed by a Heavy Weapon Commando, then another Commando, with the Corporal bringing up the rear. The right flank was similarly organized, with the Sergeant followed by a Commando bringing up the rear.

...or so I thought...

Both groups hoofed it, advancing as quickly as they could out of the deployment room. I helped out the Commandos taking point with Leadership for the doors and in a corner. As I did this, I realised that I'd mixed up my Corporal and Sergeant miniatures, thinking each was the other. Pif very graciously allowed me to swap the miniatures when I explained what I'd done, and this positioned them to match my description above.

The Machines, seeing the fact that the UNE troops were dividing to attack both Computer Terminals, moved forward at a run, with two G1 Nightmares headed for the Commandos' right flank (where the Sergeant was, bottom of image), and the Assault Fiend and another G1 cutting towards the Commandos' left flank (where the Corporal was, top of image). The final G1 that had moved forward attempted to shoot out the door to the long rectangular room (hereafter referred to as the Main Room) after running but failed to get the required 6.

A new G1 Nightmare entered the board at the Machine's rear from Machine Entry 1, and ran towards the middle of the map.

The two remaining G1 Nightmares were in the Terminal rooms; on the Commandos' left, the G1 advanced and opened the door to the room, then tried to shoot out the visible door to the Main Room (failing, with a 3, visible on the Scenario Book in the image). After the poor luck shooting at doors, Pif decided the remaining G1 on the Commandos' right flank would leave the door closed, and instead Covered 0.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:52:45 PM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
reserved for report
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
reserved for report
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:33:19 PM »
reserved for report
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
reserved for report
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »
reserved for report
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
reserved for report
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 04:34:21 PM »
reserved for report
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 04:07:45 AM »
WooT! Another AAR!

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
Aargh! This is the first time I've had a chance to log in for more than a week since I posted that! Unfortunately, I'm swamped with work at the moment, so it's going to be another week before I can finish...
Best Regards,
Bobloblah