rubber-police

Author Topic: The Ghoezats  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Jimby

• Gremlin
The Ghoezats
« on: April 08, 2019, 06:18:22 AM »
I found this game when I was twelve years old, and I have spent years, quite literally years trying to figure out all of the references included. If I could ask, could anyone tell me where the term Ghoezats came from? These people the Fantasian privateers who I figured were analagous to Cossacks.

Could anyone clue me in as to if this was a reference to something in Russian that I didn't get? I know that the Fantasians were a term for OPFOR in war games IRL, I was just wondering if the Ghoezats had a similar origin.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
Re: The Ghoezats
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
I think Tom Frank would be best to answer this as he wrote a lot of the Fantasian stuff, but I do believe it is just a slight change to the Cossacks.

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
As I now work with a large number of Russian speakers - I can conclusively state that any word you see spelled in Latin letters is - at best - a rough transliteration of the Cyrillic.

I have people working for me named:
Sergei
Sergey
Serhey
Siarhei
Serhay
and probably 2 or three more variations...
all of which are actually pronounced the same:  Ser-gay (and even that is an approximation, since the "Ser" is actually closed to "zhier"
the one that really got me was Uladzmir (pronounced vladimir)

So, Ghoezats could literally be an valid and alternative transliteration of Cossacks

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 09:31:07 PM »
It means "outsider", someone who stands outside of civil society.  I made it up, which is what I do as a writer. It is not Russian, it is just me doing what I do.  A neologism.