Author Topic: Which Race/Army do you like and why.  (Read 10007 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: Which Race/Army do you like and why.
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
Pax Galactica was intended to be in the LOS universe and use a similar system to run battles among the Galactics.  Tom or Wes probably know more because it was Marco's baby and I had nothing to do with it.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
Stormfront was the working name.

Yeah, they were the next step up the foodchain.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
There was a Nerud Bounty hunter sculpted by Dave Summers.  I have a master but don't know if it was ever produced and released.  The rules could be found in  issue zero of  Havok magazine, which was also the last complete GG catalogue.  It was available in the Towers of Bel supplement for Inferno as well as being given out to practically everyone @ shows.  There was some excellent Fantasian fiction and a scenario for LOS, the Nerud Bounty Hunter and  the Fantasian VI-3 MBT for Planetstorm and stuff for Inferno too.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
I have that Havok magazine i think, though missing cover and a couple of catalogue pages. I think the nerud was pictured in the cat., would that mean he'd been mastered and cast?

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 11:57:08 PM »
There is a description in Havoc and a listing in the catalogue but there is no photo of the Bounty Hunter figure while there is for the other figures.

Offline Brother Jim

• Nightmare
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »
I've been thinking for a while now about trying to do a Rock Lobster conversion with this miniature: http://store.dp9.com/images/dp9-9100parts.jpg. The only problem is that I'm not entirely certain about it's size realtive to LoS miniatures.

DP9 minis are approximately 1/144th scale. I don't have that fig, but will ask on their forums for measurements on Sat morning when I get home from work.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
Do NOT get me started on those damn Podlings!

Unless you want to learn more about the incestuous nature of the Canadian gaming industry.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2011, 07:23:46 PM »
It's not just the Canadian gaming industry.  Does everyone here know that Warhammer was actually invented by Canadians?  And, yes, I know this probably isn't the thread for this, but, it flows.
  So, to get back on topic...Which race do I like and why?  Well, I like some more than others and the Fantasians most of all.  Mostly, it's the historical feel of the figs.  I've always been a historical gamer when possible, and here was a way for me to creep my interest in the bad guys of the C20 (and how could fictional ones be any more villanous, except possibly in scale) into this ostensibly science fiction game.  As for style of play, the Fantasians demand a careful co-ordination of all your very different assets and you have to move...Plus, I've always found it really easy to identify with the poor grunts who just happen to be posted to the Death Star, or manning the border post the day James Bond blows through etc., etc.,...y'know, dudes that just want to make it to the end of their watch in one piece, in spite of the most determined efforts of their superiors.
  Co incidentally, probably, just after Global released the Fantasians, Citadel released the historical flavoured Imperial Guard regiments, including the Fallschirmjager inspired Cadians, and my personal favorites, the Valhallan Ice warriors, true Red Army re-enactors  if I ever saw them.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »
  My least favorite race is the Machines, even though I designed many of them.  It isn't that I don't like them aesthetically, I've just never trusted technology and truly find nothing admirable about them...My most favorite Machine design of my own is the MK 1.  No changes at all from the concept.  I really like Wes'  Runaway design also.  As soon as I saw it I thought "That's the one."  Evil as **** in a spacesuit as well, they are.
  The Succubot is a sweetie too.  Tom Meier really did a beautiful job on her face.
  My least favorite, of mine anyways, is the Stalker.  I liked the drawing, but somehow, the fig didn't come off.  Likewise, the Gremlin.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
I relate to a lot of what you are saying, Tom.  The Paladin suit took something like three options and then two additional mods to get where we wanted to be.  The Mark I was simply brilliant right out of the gate, even if some dismiss it as the "cow-headed, chicken-footed" robot.  But the Machines are all about goofy-tech: negaspheres, disruptor grenades, etc etc.  As a player I am more drawn towards the UNE and Fantasians because of their historically analagous equipment (for the the most part) but as a designer I love to come up with stuff for all of them.

That's generally.  I like to improvise and that is certainly required when you have a mish-mash of machines (or if you use the Decimation Rule).  Infranites tend to be as straight forward as a lance.  The Azaramians can be fun if you have a lot of cheap figs; they tend to hang around since all Takkars are -1 GM.  Or you get a flight of recce Angels for 5 billion UPVs: 3 figs that can take out an assault group each.

Tom Meir was really good with female faces.  I think he would do an awesome job of a new Angel head.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2011, 04:12:03 AM »
Tom Meier is a freaking god. His actual fine detail (rather than multi=layered encrustations) can be absolutely stunning. http://www.thunderboltmountain.com/

Although my favourite LOS sculpts were Dave, um, Summers? The Infranites, especially the BAP.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
  All the Infranites were sculpted by Dave Summers, as were most of the other figs.  Tom Meier did the original G1 Nightmare, the Mk 1 Assault Fiend, the Succubot, Predator, the Behemoth, the Paladin Commandos with Blaster and Plasma Projector and the Recce Commando Trooper.  Jeff Wilhelm did the MK 2, Mk 2A1, the Gremlin and the Scorpion Bot (I think).  Geoff Valley did the Recce Trooper with jump pack.  Dave Summers sculpted all the rest.  My favorite Dave Summers figs were the Fantasian T80 suits, the Kommissar and Starshina, Archfiend, Ironsides, Tozai Drakkar and Infranite Jet Bikes.  Sometimes, especially with the variant arms, proportions could go awry, but mostly, Dave ably translated the 2d drawings into 3d sculptures.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
From my short discussions with Tom Meier it seems that LOS was the only line of sci fi figs he worked on. Dave Summers was great but sometimes the proportions were off like with the BE chariot.

The ArchFiend is nothing less than a masterpiece for both Tom and Dave.