rubber-police

News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: Observation on new re-release  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Upper Canada Games

• Nightmare
Re: Observation on new re-release
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »
Besides the obvious GW, I think one of the other companies in the genre is Mantic with Warpath. They recently did a major overhaul in the last few years changing to an all box set format and dumping blisters for most of the lines. The newer game star saga is a similar idea with elite teams of mercs gong into facilities. Might be worth looking at if for no other reason than the contents of their box set.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:42:19 PM by Upper Canada Games »

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 01:16:40 AM »
Well I think the market is showing several trends right now. I think there are two distinct areas of competition. Funding and Audience.

Funding
KS has been funding a LOT of Board Games in the past few years. Companies have gotten wise to the board game market and are really using the platform as a massive pre-sales engine rather than its original  intent(new startups and providing "regular" people a source of funding). One one hand the board  game itself is the vehicle, but the MINIATURES and add-ons are designed to draw in the war gamer who wants the minis and associated terrain for other purposes. They get a much broader audience in this manner.  Personally I have supported many kickstarters for the miniatures alone and will NEVER play the game itself.

Basically, you will be competing for the dollars (and attention) with other companies, well developed, well funded, well organized kickstarters. Look at CMON (Zombicide, Hate, The Others).  If a company like CMON or Mantic is funding a slick board game with 100 miniatures, its going to be difficult not to be compared from a value perspective.
Take a look at the Hate Kickstarter
10,227 backers pledged $1,469,489 to help bring this project to life.

This is a board game with a massive number of miniatures and stretch goals included in its base price (120 Bucks). They expand sales by adding 25 Dollar bundles etc.

Audience
THe market is absolutely saturated with skirmish and hybrid wargames/boardgames like LOS. GW has 2-3 DIFFERENT games with different systems(Necromunda, Kill Team, Combat Arena, Underworlds) targeted at customers as entry level, lower cost (than a full 40K army). Some have alredy mentioned Star Saga and Warpath

A big company that in my opinion that is in direct competition is Corvus Belli's Infinity. They are at every convention, have a growing following, are retooling and remaking their old minis with new upgraded models. They are moving from walls of blisters to slick, colorful boxed sets with 2 factions and terrain. Their miniatures are quite frankly some of the most impressive the industry has to offer.
They have detailed fluff, well developed factions, standardized free rules online, free army builder software.

I would take a close look at what they are offering - especially with the 2 Factions sets. I believe that's the kind of focus we need for an LOS resurrection.

Main Site
https://store.corvusbelli.com/wargames/infinity

2 Faction Sets (these are amazing in quality)
https://store.corvusbelli.com/wargames/infinity/initiation-sets?filter.type=battle

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 02:26:07 PM »
I think they look pretty good. The letters seem to blend into each other, maybe a less beefy font. What about hero points or kneeling?

OK...

FIXED the font
ADDED Leadership/Kneeling
REMOVED a couple doors (REVISED scenarios to suit)
COMPILED Marco's rules, my counters/scenarios, Charles' unit tokens into one file

...end result:

LoS Demo Pack (it resides under the Scenarios section of Media)

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:30:09 PM by Karpov »

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
Well I think the market is showing several trends right now. I think there are two distinct areas of competition. Funding and Audience.

Funding
KS has been funding a LOT of Board Games in the past few years. Companies have gotten wise to the board game market and are really using the platform as a massive pre-sales engine rather than its original  intent(new startups and providing "regular" people a source of funding). One one hand the board  game itself is the vehicle, but the MINIATURES and add-ons are designed to draw in the war gamer who wants the minis and associated terrain for other purposes. They get a much broader audience in this manner.  Personally I have supported many kickstarters for the miniatures alone and will NEVER play the game itself.

sorry for not responding earlier but thanks so much for all the info. It is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:12:26 PM by EarthdogMP »

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 06:18:34 PM »
Hey everyone, I am very proud to announce that my son, Nico and I have started Raybox Games together. It will be Re-launching Legions of Steel as well as Inferno and several other games. Check out our website at www.rayboxgames.com.

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »
Hey everyone, I am very proud to announce that my son, Nico and I have started Raybox Games together. It will be Re-launching Legions of Steel as well as Inferno and several other games. Check out our website at www.rayboxgames.com.

Very excited!

I look forward to running both LoS and Stalingrad at local cons.  I used to run an award winning Stalingrad game many years ago, so I have the terrain available.  It hasn't seen the light of day (boxed up) in a long time, but hopefully it's still in one piece;-)  If you will be releasing minis for it, I'll need to get a hold of them (any leftovers?).  Otherwise I'll just use my vast 28mm collection.

-Kevin

Offline Charles Marlow

• Nightmare
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »

Epic! I've signed-up to be a playtester for LoS and Inferno. Please, re-release the OOP mins through RAFM.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 09:09:01 PM »

Epic! I've signed-up to be a playtester for LoS and Inferno. Please, re-release the OOP mins through RAFM.
Great, yes we are already talking with Brock at RAFM.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »
Very excited!

I look forward to running both LoS and Stalingrad at local cons.  I used to run an award winning Stalingrad game many years ago, so I have the terrain available.  It hasn't seen the light of day (boxed up) in a long time, but hopefully it's still in one piece;-)  If you will be releasing minis for it, I'll need to get a hold of them (any leftovers?).  Otherwise I'll just use my vast 28mm collection.

-Kevin
Sounds great Kevin. Alas, I only have a few here. The molds and masters were lost, sadly. We will do new sculpts when the time is ready. Which cons that are coming up are you considering?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:00:00 PM by Kindred »

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 09:15:07 PM »
OK...

FIXED the font
ADDED Leadership/Kneeling
REMOVED a couple doors (REVISED scenarios to suit)
COMPILED Marco's rules, my counters/scenarios, Charles' unit tokens into one file

...end result:

LoS Demo Pack (it resides under the Scenarios section of Media)

Enjoy!

Hey Karpov,

I have playtested the 2 scenarios and overall pretty good. I will be making some changes for you guys to see. I will be using this as intro/tutorial scenarios introducing specific rules for each, easing in the new player. I have also created 2 new scenarios. Do you have a copy of just the little board templates so I can construct the scenarios?

thanks and talk soon.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:59:19 PM by Kindred »

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »
Hey Karpov,

I have playtested the 2 scenarios and overall pretty good. I will be making some changes for you guys to see. I will be using this as intro/tutorial scenarios introducing specific rules for each, easing in the new player. I have also created 2 new scenarios. Do you have a copy of just the little board templates so I can construct the scenarios?

thanks and talk soon.

Marco-

Sounds good!  Anxious to see the changes so I can give them another try AND try yours!  As for the little board templates, I use(d) Microsoft Visio to create them, are you able to use that file type?  I can create them for you (and JPG the map when done) if you can't use my file type.  LMK.

-Kevin

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »
Hey Kevin. I think I can use them. Please send me the files and I will let you know. Thanks and I will have them updated soon

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »
Sounds great Kevin. Alas, I only have a few here. The molds and masters were lost, sadly. We will do new sculpts when the time is ready. Which cons that are coming up are you considering?

Big shame with the molds, I would have loved to get a hold of the old versions, being a collector and all.

As for cons, we have 3 big ones here in PA every year (Cold Wars, Historicon, Fall In).  I used to frequent them all, but haven't much recently as there hasn't been much that has called me back to it...until now I hope!  So I'd like to at least get something going for Fall In, November 14-17.  Outside of that, I'd be more than willing to travel beyond my sphere of influence with LoS/Stalingrad once things are officially released.

Hey Kevin. I think I can use them. Please send me the files and I will let you know. Thanks and I will have them updated soon

I emailed the files to you earlier today.

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »
...and as a follow-up, I need to submit my game(s) before August 30th.  So if there is any shot, I would need to have some material in the next couple weeks to feel confident in pulling it off (Stalingrad, I'm looking at you).  I have all the materials I need for LoS, just need direction on how you would want me to show it off.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »
***************************************************************************************
Big shame with the molds, I would have loved to get a hold of the old versions, being a collector and all.

As for cons, we have 3 big ones here in PA every year (Cold Wars, Historicon, Fall In).  I used to frequent them all, but haven't much recently as there hasn't been much that has called me back to it...until now I hope!  So I'd like to at least get something going for Fall In, November 14-17.  Outside of that, I'd be more than willing to travel beyond my sphere of influence with LoS/Stalingrad once things are officially released. ***************************************************************************************
I have found some early production pieces. I am going to organize what I have and perhaps run a new mold. I can do a limited run from there. I will keep you posted on these but if I can I'd like them made in September.

Great to hear about the shows. I'd love it for you to show off the games there. Would it be good to find you a fan or player to assist you. I can do a call out on reddit.