Author Topic: Artwork  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: Artwork
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:16 PM »
not that i ever drew them out of armour, but i always saw them as kinda like those big-ass tongan and somoan guys.  not fat or soft, just...y'know?

Dave's inspiration,  :P

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:21 AM »
heh - that did come across a bit harsher than it was supposed to...

all things considered - looking at the substantial differences in all three of our styles, it's actually impressive we managed to keep things as close as we did.

i mean - the infranite scouts - i may have done thier concepts, but it was all based on Dave's work.  plus, i got to work on them when Marco wasn't standing at my shoulder offering advice.

:)

Offline Katharsis

• Nightmare
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
You were VERY lucky, Tom! Marco was almost always over my shoulder, but i seem to work better that way... sometimes!

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
bites Dave on the ankle.

is Wes, not Tom.

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
Actually, if that picture was close to what the inspiration was, then the drawing is actually pretty close to correct, IMO.

It's actually pretty close to what I imagined Fantasians to look like...

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 11:21:18 PM »
Seriously, I just Googled "samoan wrestler images" and this came up.  I would have no cause to do so but for the Wes comment.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
hahahahahhaah.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
I'm right here, just not with much Internet access.  Apology accepted, Captain Needa...No worries Dave.  Like Clark says, there are many reasons old Calvin might be so buff, not least to show superiority to the monkey boys from Earth in a manner that would resonate with human aesthetics... AS for design philosophy, once we really got going, Clark and Marco pretty much let me go with the Fantasians...Commie Nazi hypoglycemic bipedal elephant seals with Russki kit seemed almost autobiographical.  As a point of interest, the VI 3 heavy tank was designed with the admission that there probably would never be a kit for it so one could easily be built by kitbashing a KV-1 with applique armour and a T 72 or T 80, plus a blister of Fantasian accessories that Global would produce later.  It would be up to the gamer whether you used Bandai/Zhengedifu 1/48th armour or Tamyia 1/35th.  1/48th would be closer to figure scale, but oversize vehicles seems more "science fictiony" somehow.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »
I recall the UNE FAV being my idea but Tom came up with the quad cycle and hex runner without any input from me. Same with the Warbear.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »
I have a lot of the LOS art in digital form.  As yet, I don't see a commercial downside to making digital copies available here.  So for Tom, Wes, Dave and others if you give me the go-ahead I will post what I have here.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »
As long as you also include the appropiate copyright disclaimer so that others do not assume it is free use artwork.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »
Seriously, I just Googled "samoan wrestler images" and this came up.

That image feels pretty 'bang on' for Fantasian anatomy - bulky, with no overly defined musculature, & slightly flabby but in a way that generally enhances natural strength.
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
feel free to post any  of my work, Clark.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »
Global owned the art Clark, you don't need my permission to post it, but thanks for asking anyhow.  Happy to see it used again....
 More art trivia...Every blaster carrying UNE Commando (Square or round based) has the buzz number 118 sculpted onto his left breast because in the original concept piece, that was the trooper's number.  Thank Grud Marco had blanked out the rest of the trooper's ID marks because that particular design which became the Paladin suit was originally my design for a Waffen SS battlesuit.  (I'd just seen "Kishin Corps...").
  The Ironsides Assault armour was based on the Allied suit...

Offline Katharsis

• Nightmare
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
Global owned the art Clark, you don't need my permission to post it, but thanks for asking anyhow.  Happy to see it used again....

Usually, i sign a contract that says something along the lines of: 'Artist agrees to sell 1st print rights to company... company has the rights to use images as advertisement as well, on the understanding that no revenue is to be collected directly from the ads, ie: prints for sale,etc'.
I cannot for life of me remember if we did that, Clark but, i think that you can treat my artwork as 'owned' by you!
I would like to add that if/when you plan to 're-release' a new LoS, that Tom,Wes and myself do brand new artwork for it!