News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: RE-Release of Miniatures  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
Re: RE-Release of Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
on the subject of retailers...

one thing that I have seen some kickstarters do is to offer a "retailer package" in the kickstarter...    e.g. 10 copies for a discount that lets the retailer sell at a markup.

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 09:33:40 AM »

one thing that I have seen some kickstarters do is to offer a "retailer package" in the kickstarter...    e.g. 10 copies for a discount that lets the retailer sell at a markup.

Agreed, retailers could get decent KS pricing, but the draw is that they would also be getting and KS exclusives.  I know with Hellboy there was a lot of retailers that bought into it and it worked well for them.  Sure there were a few complainers, but it was clearly spelled out during the campaign.

I will re-iterate my original comment that getting some type of intro package produced (ex 4x Commandos, 5x Nightmares + Fiend & basic/quick-start rules/scenarios) would help us push something at cons.  If you tie it into some fluff piece like I originally mentioned (first foray/expedition into space to see why base/colony disappeared), then you can build on that during the coming months and make the KS boxed game the culmination of that.  This would re-introduce all the great background you have, and build  a timeline with the releases.

Offline Upper Canada Games

• Nightmare
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 10:45:40 PM »
Hi, in terms of kick starters I understand completely I just wanted to pass on what I've been hearing from some stores. The suggestion of the retailer pack is a good one, keep it small with a few sets for retail and maybe a few extras only available through retailers to make it a draw to go to stores.

For conventions, the best thing you can do is even just get some people there to set up some great looking tables (hurst arts tech walls with a little work would make for a spectacular table, talk to the terrain companies about cross promos we did this all the time and I have a few great terrain painters in my contacts list), Gamers wandering the halls for a game will always want to look at a great table...run pick up demo games etc. and you can get some publicity before you are even attending. Players coming back from the big cons are a quick way to get the name out.

For manufacturers let me check around. I know several smaller companies playing around with plastics and resins (see the recent heavy gear redesign to plastic box sets).
I'll check around and see if there are any that are recommended for you.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 06:28:35 AM »

Agreed, retailers could get decent KS pricing, but the draw is that they would also be getting and KS exclusives.  I know with Hellboy there was a lot of retailers that bought into it and it worked well for them.  Sure there were a few complainers, but it was clearly spelled out during the campaign.

I will re-iterate my original comment that getting some type of intro package produced (ex 4x Commandos, 5x Nightmares + Fiend & basic/quick-start rules/scenarios) would help us push something at cons.  If you tie it into some fluff piece like I originally mentioned (first foray/expedition into space to see why base/colony disappeared), then you can build on that during the coming months and make the KS boxed game the culmination of that.  This would re-introduce all the great background you have, and build  a timeline with the releases.
Thanks Karpov. KS pricing for retailers sounds very good. I agree with the compact starter set. What scenarios do you suggest would work well with half of the figures or should we make a new one? I am working on a clean set of rules right now as well as a prinable counter sheet. Also working on some quick start rules for younger or inexperienced miniatures wargaming players.

cheers Marco Pecota

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 06:31:40 AM »
Hi, in terms of kick starters I understand completely I just wanted to pass on what I've been hearing from some stores. The suggestion of the retailer pack is a good one, keep it small with a few sets for retail and maybe a few extras only available through retailers to make it a draw to go to stores.

For conventions, the best thing you can do is even just get some people there to set up some great looking tables (hurst arts tech walls with a little work would make for a spectacular table, talk to the terrain companies about cross promos we did this all the time and I have a few great terrain painters in my contacts list), Gamers wandering the halls for a game will always want to look at a great table...run pick up demo games etc. and you can get some publicity before you are even attending. Players coming back from the big cons are a quick way to get the name out.

For manufacturers let me check around. I know several smaller companies playing around with plastics and resins (see the recent heavy gear redesign to plastic box sets).
I'll check around and see if there are any that are recommended for you.
thanks UCG, some great advice. What are the big cons now days, other than Gencon?

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 07:51:30 AM »

Thanks Karpov. KS pricing for retailers sounds very good. I agree with the compact starter set. What scenarios do you suggest would work well with half of the figures or should we make a new one? I am working on a clean set of rules right now as well as a prinable counter sheet. Also working on some quick start rules for younger or inexperienced miniatures wargaming players.

cheers Marco Pecota

Personally, I'd like to see something along the lines of a 2-sided folded map with a NEW scenario for each side.  Not unlike clix games and the like.  If you go with a couple scenarios on the side of 'first contact' then they can help tell a story leading up to the box set as well.  A primer if you will.  Years ago when Sedition Wars was being promoted, they used a color paper map with a demo scenario printed on it.  Fully contained.  Not knowing what direction your going with map tiles (or other), you can incorporate those ideas into the map so that it blends in with future offerings.

Sure, if we are able to produce a fancy 3D version of it then all the better, I'm just thinking something to get out to the masses.  Maybe offer the map as a take-home promo to those playing the demo game.  Just ideas...  Map boards and tiles are certainly not old tech.  Most miniature board games use them, so I wouldn't think it would look dated (especially double-sided map poster for demo).

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
The more I think about it, here are my ideas for the starter scenarios.  This is ASSUMING my thoughts on starter unit box of 4 Commandos, 5 Nightmares, 1 Mk1 Fiend (essentially half of black boxed set).

1) UNE is dispatched to investigate a mining colony/space station that went silent.  Small assault ship sent.  One half-section sent down/on-board.  Runs into Nightmares.
UNE Forces: 1x half-section Commandos (Sergeant, 2x Commando, Heavy Weapon Commando)
Machine Forces: 5x Nightmares
Special Rules: like previously published scenario that escapes me (The Gaunlet?), Nightmares come back on board as replacements when removed.  Make it turned based for winning?  VPs?  Get intel from command room and escape?  Lots of options and variations...

2) Once intel is retrieved, plans to destroy (bombard) colony/space station is interrupted with assault on UNE ship by Machines.
UNE Forces: 1x half-section
Machine Forces: Nightmares + Fiend
Special Rules: Straight up brawl, nothing fancy. If Machines gets to bridge/control room, Machine win. Machines destroyed, UNE win.

Fluff, fluff, fluff...blah, blah, blah...can you prevent/stall the Machines expansion plans?

Map would be two-sided, with base/space station on one side and floor plan of UNE ship on the other. This can be the beginning of the rapid advance by the machines through the UNE universe (black box).  They use the tech (or the whole ship!) from the captured UNE ship to speed up their expansion...

Just putting down ideas...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:40:23 AM by Karpov »

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
The more I think about it, here are my ideas for the starter scenarios.  This is ASSUMING my thoughts on starter unit box of 4 Commandos, 5 Nightmares, 1 Mk1 Fiend (essentially half of black boxed set).

1) UNE is dispatched to investigate a mining colony/space station that went silent.  Small assault ship sent.  One half-section sent down/on-board.  Runs into Nightmares.
UNE Forces: 1x half-section Commandos (Sergeant, 2x Commando, Heavy Weapon Commando)
Machine Forces: 5x Nightmares
Special Rules: like previously published scenario that escapes me (The Gaunlet?), Nightmares come back on board as replacements when removed.  Make it turned based for winning?  VPs?  Get intel from command room and escape?  Lots of options and variations...

2) Once intel is retrieved, plans to destroy (bombard) colony/space station is interrupted with assault on UNE ship by Machines.
UNE Forces: 1x half-section
Machine Forces: Nightmares + Fiend
Special Rules: Straight up brawl, nothing fancy. If Machines gets to bridge/control room, Machine win. Machines destroyed, UNE win.

Fluff, fluff, fluff...blah, blah, blah...can you prevent/stall the Machines expansion plans?

Map would be two-sided, with base/space station on one side and floor plan of UNE ship on the other. This can be the beginning of the rapid advance by the machines through the UNE universe (black box).  They use the tech (or the whole ship!) from the captured UNE ship to speed up their expansion...

Just putting down ideas...

I think these ideas are great. Also the simply printed mapboard would be relatively cheap to produce and get people involved right away. I agree with the smaller starter set of 4 commandos and 5 NM and 1 AF. I am even thinking is is a good way to release the original boxed set but with half the tiles (but a couple of pre printed larger missions) and half of most of the components. It would practically cut the cost in half. Each player could buy their own boxed set and when getting together utilize them both to play larger missions, available for free online.

Anyone up to creating or playtesting these 2 missions?

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 07:37:24 AM »

I have created quite a few scenarios for my own LoS campaign, I'm sure I can give it a try...and I will certainly playtest others.

My only question is what style do you want the 'map' in?  Totally new with no bounds, or something using the same tiles as before just in a single map form?  Also, what limits to poster size (so I know how many tiles or 1" map squares I have to work with)?

I'm not the worlds greatest writer, so I will be cutting and pasting some of your old fluff to make sure it works well.  I'll leave notations where I do that.  I just want it to work correctly with the current timeline and narrative.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »

I have created quite a few scenarios for my own LoS campaign, I'm sure I can give it a try...and I will certainly playtest others.

My only question is what style do you want the 'map' in?  Totally new with no bounds, or something using the same tiles as before just in a single map form?  Also, what limits to poster size (so I know how many tiles or 1" map squares I have to work with)?

I'm not the worlds greatest writer, so I will be cutting and pasting some of your old fluff to make sure it works well.  I'll leave notations where I do that.  I just want it to work correctly with the current timeline and narrative.

Thanks very much. I think we should stick to the templates for now so existing owners can simply replicate the board if thye like.

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »
Thanks very much. I think we should stick to the templates for now so existing owners can simply replicate the board if thye like.

I have the maps done and the scenarios written up.  Will work on PDFing them this week for consumption/playtesting.  FYI, I made the decision to use only one 'set' of Template Pack 1 for demo map creation.  Essentially half what the box set is.  Seeing that you/we are leaning towards a demo version, halving everything makes sense and is easy.  Starter/demo boxed set would include:

4 Commandos
5 Nightmares
1 Fiend
1 double-sided color map (using Template Pack 1 graphics)
2 scenarios
1 Starter Rulebook w/minimal color printable counters (doors, terminal, etc.)
2 6-sided dice

Where/how can I post the file(s) here?

I can easily provide a DL link if posting here is not possible.

-Kevin

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 11:31:17 PM »
go to the media section.
add a new directory for yourself link in right nav menu -- add new album)
upload your zip, pdf and/or image file(s) there. :) (again, right nav menu -- add new item)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:36:03 AM by Kindred »

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »
go to the media section.
add a new directory for yourself link in right nav menu -- add new album)
upload your zip, pdf and/or image file(s) there. :) (again, right nav menu -- add new item)

Sounds good, thanks...wasn't sure I had rights to do so.  Forgot my files at home today, so hopefully I'll remember tomorrow:-(

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:10 PM »
Every approved member of the forum should have permission to create their own gallery and/or upload to the site owned galleries

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »
I have uploaded the first scenario for the demo set I am putting together.  I ran out of time to finish the 'package', but hope to have it done in the next couple days...bare minimum I'll post second scenario tomorrow.  Until then, please give it a look.  Bear in mind that this is designed to tell a story, with the second one being the culmination (as much as you can have with only 2 scenarios!).

One note:  The 'gray' area is part of the map I added if the normal map is to confined.  I was trying to creating sort of a congested shipping container complex (aka outpost) with as many open areas as the tiles allowed.  Try it without the gray area a few times first to see if it flows well.  The gray area would basically provide a slightly easier escape route but not much in the way of attack.

Thoughts, ideas, criticisms welcome. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 03:23:02 PM by Karpov »