News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: Legions of Steel Digital, on iPad and PC: July 16, 2015  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
Re: Legions of Steel Digital, on iPad and PC: July 16, 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:56:02 AM »
Ready to buy!

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:25:24 AM »
Will buy, will pimp.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:52:42 PM »
Pimps don't buy..they sell.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
Heh.

Well, got the pop-up in my Steam window that this was released. Bought it instantly. Anyone else got it yet?

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »
YES!!!! So excited for this, I just checked today & its available on iTunes now [it wasn't there on the 16th].

Downloading...  8)
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline grendeljd

• Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
Also, everyone please help spread the word on this game - its currently the active face of LoS & needs as much exposure as we can all give it. Anyone on any social media apps etc., please talk it up a bit & get whatever gaming friends you have to try it out!
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:37:55 AM »
It's pretty solid and includes some of the oldies but goodies scenarios like The Quarterback Sneak and A Time to Die. 

Leadership works a bit differently. In some ways it is more flexible, because you don't need line of sight and can assign leadership in-turn rather than at the beginning. On the other hand, you can't use it to boost cover fire, or to fire a second time on the Machine phase.  The biggest difference is that if you spend leadership on initiative and decide to go first, those leadership points are gone rather than being recovered at the start of your phase.  This blunts the effect of a "flip-flop" because you will not have the leadership to further ruin the other guy's day on the second phase in a row that you move.

You don't have the precision control over covering fire you have in the board game because one player cannot interrupt the other player mid-turn. However, you have some covering fire options like covering a particular square, or unit, or only firing if fired upon.

The "electronic warfare" or fog of war mode is something completely new. It is more akin to playing Double Blind but your soldiers can burn a fire actions to "ping" an area about the size of a map-tile (about 4x4 squares).  Any enemy figures in the area will show up on the map as a bogey for the remainder of your turn.

Experienced players will probably find the AI pretty weak.  It is hard coded to always take the initiative and go first while not seeming to account for the possibility of a flip-flop.  The Nightmares will deploy, 4-in-a-row, down a corridor which makes them fodder for k-pulse grenades or a running heavy weapon trooper with some leadership points.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
Bought this on Steam, bought in on iPad. Australian time does not synch up real well with USA and EU, but I hope the sales pay Nyx back the development of this; it's probably generated more exposure than LoS ever had just by being on the App store, and Steam, and getting some computer game youtube reviews.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 03:48:57 AM »
The digital version will certainly sell more copies than the physical game ever did, but the stakes are higher. I am not privy to the numbers but this game has to sell a **** load if you ever want to play Fantasians and such on your iPad. Then it must sell that much more if you want to see a Planetstorm (outdoor) version.  Romain and the boys love this but it is more business and less a labour of love considering the numbers.  The initial development costs of the board game were about $50k and we had about a million dollars in sales over the first few years.  The development costs of the digital version were double, triple or even quadruple that and sales of less than $2.5 million in the first year might be considered a bust.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 12:00:21 PM »
Oh yes, the sheer time for the development tells me that. I'm just talking exposure.

Still, it looks like a solid game. We'll see how it goes, but I figure it has to do some good for the brand, and apart from that it is looking like a solid strategy game with potential to be kick-arse in competitive play.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:03:30 AM »
Slitherine runs regular tournaments. I was thinking of entering one to see how the multiplayer system works.  If they can get it to work in real time then that adds a lot more potential.

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 08:58:23 AM »
I hate to necro an old thread, but is this game still viable?

I watched it's development but hated the graphic depiction of the Commando and Nightmares (call me petty...) so I dismissed it.  I might re-think my stance if the game is stable and playable in it's current (2019) form.

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
Yup. It's stable and playable. I wasn't crazy about the depictions either, but the game play is there. It's unfortunate that it'll almost certainly never see expansion...

ACCIDENTAL EDIT BY ADMIN: I haven't played but I heard it is ok. Yeah the art is really not great. i am looking at a very different direction for the new release. - EarthdogMP
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:14:43 AM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 12:48:07 PM »
I have it on steam -- don't know that it ever actually pad it to the iPad version...

it is playable... not great, but playable and in a recognizable LoS style of play.