rubber-police

Author Topic: Favourite Bits  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
Re: Favourite Bits
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
Yeah, I and my friends noticed some of those things. Loved that in the images. It made the game seem more like friends playing together.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
I came from 40K, Necromunda, and Bloodbowl, and a diet of sci-fi, much of it mediocre. Here's what blew my mind:

GUNS KILL PEOPLE!
There's a lot of actual dying in this game (as opposed to 40K pillowfights where everyone gets shot 18 times)!
Great Merciful CRAP this game plays fast! Every time I pick up the dice something happens!

So yeah. LOS  was fast and tight, and unlike 40K where the blood and thunder is all in the fluff, it felt deadly, dangerous, and bloody in play.

I also liked the pared-down sci-fi that gave enough details for a concrete universe but then left almost everything open for the imagination. It avoided several of the cliches of big-picture sci-fi pertaining to obvious wish-fulfillment "and then aliens showed up and disproved religion/ instituted new totally awesome government run by boffins especially those in the author's field/ legalised pot" although, on the subject of wish-fulfillment, was any of it written by a Canadian infantryman?

What frustrated me about "the other game" is that you shoot the SOB and he still runs away.  I was one of the best shots in my regiment (but I would be hard pressed to compete with the infantry) and I could knock a Loonie out of a bullseye at 100 metres (50" in game).  In close combat you can take out a man in a fraction of a second if you are at 10 metres or less.  On the other hand, if you are running about like a maniac and covering -2 then you won't be hitting much if you run into trouble.

I speak through my characters but tried to not construct a universe that embodied all of my views.  At this point, I prefer to ask questions rather than give answers.  When I am a retired curmudgeon that will probably change, but we have another 20 years to wait for that .

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »
Yeah, I and my friends noticed some of those things. Loved that in the images. It made the game seem more like friends playing together.

Dave Chase

I had mixed feeling about it at first because it was like he wasn't taking the game seriously.  Then I gave my head a shake and said WTF, how serious can you take a game?  There is a tension there because I'd like people to take something meaningful away from LOS but I also want it to be good, meaningless fun.

A target would be to create a decent combat simulation that cops and soldiers could learn from.  I'm still not sure if that is possible, I know we are on the right track given the response from protective service members who have played.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »
Tom left a lot of other Easter eggs in his illustrations like Machine control panels playing an 8-track of the Kiss Destroyer album.

I always chuckle when I see that one. That and what looks like the Mortal Kombat video game on one of the screens in that pic.

I had mixed feeling about it at first because it was like he wasn't taking the game seriously.  Then I gave my head a shake and said WTF, how serious can you take a game?  There is a tension there because I'd like people to take something meaningful away from LOS but I also want it to be good, meaningless fun.

I would have been concerned about that too - there is a line that can be crossed where getting absorbed in the fictional world is disrupted by silliness. I'll be honest, the one I didn't like was the piece Dave Mackay did of the MkII & the Commando slugging it out over a pile of rubble & body parts. Star Wars Storm Trooper helmets is one thing, but Krusty the Clown's head? Funny but maybe inappropriate? And let me say for the record, I always really liked Dave's art a lot, otherwise. His pic of the damaged Sniperbot head is still one of my all-time favourites, and I also really liked any of his drawings of Nightmares the best.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:23:48 AM by grendeljd »
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich