rubber-police

Author Topic: Planetstorm flaws  (Read 4166 times)

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Planetstorm flaws
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:44:40 AM »
Okay, I've been thinking a lot more about Planetstorm lately in the the context of other games I've seen since. I'm hoping to get a game in soon, and I'm thinking about trying some rules tweaks. What are areas of the game that others think are problematic? What are some of the changes that you've tried or thought about trying?
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Warchariot

• Nightmare
  • ~Good Cheer to All~
Re: Planetstorm flaws
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
Wow, it's been 15+ years since I played Planet Storm. I remember that it killed us playing LoS and we moved on to other things. We had even play tested the game and are listed under the playtesters! The one thing I do remember is it didn't transfer outside well. The fun part of LoS is all the fire options you have and these, along with grenades didn't work as well.

So where to start, suppression was a big issue. I know there is a thread on this already, maybe it needs to be revived? we will also play a game at some point, but were having too much fun playing LoS right now 8)
Larry
Cheyenne, WY

Offline BigFatGuy

• Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
1: using rulers sucks. The gameboard should be a hex grid
2: The BAP artillery was absurdly overpowered

We played a lot of pstorm, but it never felt as smooth or well put together as LOS to me.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:21:40 AM »

We played a lot of pstorm, but it never felt as smooth or well put together as LOS to me.

Agreed, when the time comes to do a 2nd Edition the rules will require an overhaul.

marco
rayboxgames@gmail.com
www.rayboxgames.com

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 09:19:28 AM »

I created a stripped down version that was much closer to LoS to aid in that transition.  I always thought PS was needlessly complicated, even annoyingly so.  I used the PS "lite" rules to play narrative games having a tabletop game assaulting base entrances, then the follow-up would be entering using LoS proper.  I've even used a map I bought from Wargamevault that meshes the 2 together perfectly allowing me to actually do both in one game.

Need to dig them out again...

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »
We actually completely rewrote the planet storm rules and sent them in to Clark back when the game was 1st out. We were under the impression that planets term was nearly completely broken and we stops playing it in favor of the interior game.

Offline EarthdogMP

• Overlord
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 04:32:28 AM »
Once the 2nd Edition basic box set is released we can look at the table top version again.