Author Topic: Military Experience  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Military Experience
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »
I think this is something that separates LOS from "the other game" in terms of the designers and players

I served 10 years with the 2nd Field Engineer Regiment, Toronto and left as a Sergeant, 6B qualified.
Marco, at my pestering, joined the regiment.  He aced his basic training and then dropped out because he didn't like being told what to do (by whelps a decade younger).
Derrick was cadets or reserves, but I cannot remember the specifics.

What about the others?

Right now I have an application in for JAG: the biggest wargame around.  Wish me luck.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
Re: Military Experience
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
I served with the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, 'The Hasty P's, hence my user name, and 3RCR during the 10/90 battalion days. Infantry. Retired after 16 years as a sergeant to go into Provincial Policing.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:40:41 AM »
When I was recruiting NCO a sergeant from the Hasty Ps recruited for the Tor Scots.  We hit various venues together and he had many stories, like when he trained with the Green Berets.

And my uncle was police chief out your way.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:41 AM »
A buddy of mine ended up switching from Infantry to Combat Engineer with 2CER..and eventually back to Infantry again.  He's a big LoS fan too...collected Fantasians.  Won't likely see him here much though...wife won't let him have internet.  anyway...he told me that it looks to him like the Assault Pioneer figure is wearing anti-landmine boots.  Told me there actually is such a thing...meant to distribute weight. This was the intent?

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:20:49 AM »
Boy Scout, Eagle Scout which transitioned to:

US Army Infantry/Infantry Scout...8 Years Active

I am an actively involved in shooting sports ranging from High Power Rifle to IPSC/IDPA. (All depending on mood, work and such)

On a semi-related note a few Army buds and I are going am going to a Knob Creek Gun Range this coming weekend: A weekend of fully automatic weapons including miniguns, flamethrowers etc. Essentially it's heaven for 3 Days. 

Check out link below
http://www.knobcreekgunsales.com/events/featured-events/machine-gun-shoot

Ft.Knox is nearby and has a nice Armor Museum (just reopened) and Urban Warfare as well which a few of us will visit.

Arfiel

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Does growing up on airforce bases count as military experience?

Offline SteveUK

• Nightmare
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:56 AM »
Often it's a small world, my own time was as a gunner in the RAFVR, then on to the Navy serving as an Engineering rupert and finally the MOD working in weapons testing. many gamers I meet ( of a certain age) have done some time in uniform.

Offline YojimboUsaka

• Nightmare
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:23 AM »
18 years in the US Air Force as a comm tech doesnt give me the tactical background you all have but did work with special ops and some other interesting folks so at least have a small idea what's going on when they start talking about bullets flying around.

Charles