Author Topic: Artwork  (Read 5646 times)

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
Artwork
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »
This thread can be used to announce any artwork members add to the media gallery, I'll start it off with this;

[smg id=49]

Its a quick sketch I doodled up of a Fantasian while at work last night - I was primarily interested in figuring out how to draw the face, with the goal of doing a nicely rendered image of the beloved 'Iron Leader' himself later, in full regalia. I was trying out something for that strange 'patch' of skin on the top of the head as drawn by Dave McKay [the Fantasian in boxer shorts pic] but I think maybe it looks too much like a weird brush cut hair-do instead of a chunk of skin...
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Arfiel

Re: Artwork
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:05:52 PM »
I think if you make the texture a little more similar to the skin on his face it would look good.
I don't have my books anymore so I can't reference other art. But if it is supposed to be
more of a "flap" all you would need to do is make it look a little less attached at the edges.

Offline Katharsis

• Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
Hopefully Clark (or if we are lucky, Tom!) can shed some light...
for the life of me, i can't remember what the 'head piece' is all about!

btw- nice artwork!

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
That is the tympanum dome, a vestigial organ suspected of being a sonar receptor in their evolutionary precursors.  The size, shape and texture vary among races and individuals.  The blue-skinned Ukri are described as having "an over large forehead tympanum dome" on page 96 of Planetstorm. There are not very many pics that detail the face and skull. Each artist made their own variations on the theme.  We don't, as yet, have a visual guide to go along with "The  world according to Draegor and the genetic scientists of the Party" found in the margin of page 92.

Perhaps chronic steroid use causes distortions in the dome's proportions.  Calvin Klein there is seriously cut for a Fantasian with their natural, subdermal insulating layer.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
With the Fantasians... when in doubt, the underwear model is an abberation, the Tom Frank version is the "real" template.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »
I knew basically what I wanted the Fantasians to look like so I drew a crappy little sketch of a face and then a helmet and facemask. Tom worked off of those. For most other figs he just worked off of a one line description like "skeletal robot with machine gun" or "10 foot tall demonic robot with flamethrower".

The Sniperbot was a camel: designed by committee. We couldn't agree on what it sohould look like and we ended up with a head that nobody really liked.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
Personally - I blame you for that outcome.  I have proof!

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »
Ok, lay it on me.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
because....I have your doodles and handwriting in my sketchbook beside all the misbegotten concept attempts.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
But it wasn't just me and you; Derrick and Marco had their own views that we couldn't reconcile nor agree on. . . so we got a camel.

If I recall, I wanted a basically featureless face.

Offline grendeljd

• Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »
The Sniperbot was a camel: designed by committee. We couldn't agree on what it sohould look like and we ended up with a head that nobody really liked.

That guy is one of my favourite figure designs, and I LIKE the head! lol

Offline grendeljd

• Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
Calvin Klein there is seriously cut for a Fantasian with their natural, subdermal insulating layer.

Sounds like you like the cut of his jib, Clark - LOL!

I was definitely using Dave McKay's drawing as a primary reference point, there aren't many other pics of them out of armor. I'll add some flubber to his body if I do up a nice version of this. I think I made his head rounded and flabby enough?

By the way, Clark, I sent you a PM via this forum a couple weeks ago with a revised rough drawing of the LoS graveyard pic. Let me know what you think, if you got the image ok.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 11:20:03 PM »
not that i ever drew them out of armour, but i always saw them as kinda like those big-ass tongan and somoan guys.  not fat or soft, just...y'know?

and the sniper?  overall i like the figure... it just the damn thing is basically 80% the same as the original marco saw.  we wasted like six hours to go with the first try.  :(

never EVER let rules guys watch the concept art while you work on it.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
LOL,

Actually, the Samoan wrestler comparison strikes me as apt.

Offline Katharsis

• Nightmare
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »
With the Fantasians... when in doubt, the underwear model is an abberation, the Tom Frank version is the "real" template.
sounds like a slam! lol
sometimes we get things right, other times... underwear models.
If i remember correctly, that was Marco's fault so... apologies Tom, wherever you are! :P