rubber-police

Author Topic: Welcome...  (Read 8748 times)

Offline Parduz

• Gremlin
Re: Welcome...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
Hi to all from Italy.
I did'nt find any "new user" section, so i hope this thread is the right one to introduce myself.
I'm a 40 years old player, and a SpaceCrusade fan. My preferred boardgames are tactical games. I bought a portoguese copy of LoS 2 years ago, but i managed to have a scan of the english rules only some months ago. So I'm a new LoS player (i plan to do my first play in a week or so), and while i'm reading and translating the rules in my language i'm starting to love this game even without any play under my belt! I think the mechanic is great and that it could be ported to modern urban warfare/hostage rescue theme easy and with really good results. But i'd stick to the original setting for now, until i have full knowledge of the game.

Please sorry for my poor english: i'm active in a good number of english forums and i'm slowly getting better at it.... but i know that i have a long way before being able to write in good english. Luckily, gaming is somewhat international and break almost any barrier :)

Ciao!

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »
Welcome Parduz

And don't worry, Your english is just fine. :)

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline YojimboUsaka

• Nightmare
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »
Howdy all,

Long time LOS player who has longed for the game to get active again.  There is a group of 5-6 of us who play 2-3 times a year as we can get together (we all live in different states, me in another country now). 
  We love the game and have the inevitable house rules and tweaks but love the core game. We almost exclusively play double blind, once we started with that it was hard to go back to the normal play.  Changed the HtH to an apposed die roll.  Added a few races (SSlorin and a few of the 'deceased' League of Alien races) for more variety.
  I also developed the LOS module for the VASSAL system.  Have not worked on it in a while but the basics are all in there and it worked well the couple of times I was able to get someone to help test it.
  I also started development of a more 'gritty' version of LOS that I could put non-armored units, civilians etc into the game.  My alternate time line had the machines and other alien nations showing up on Earth in very small numbers and having encounters with various SWAT, special forces etc. before the full League of Aliens made contact.  Worked on putting in stress, morale, unit quality, knockback, light RPG elements etc while trying to keep the complexity down.  Still a work in progress but would love to share our ideas.

Very happy that the game is getting the love and attention it deserves once again.  Hope to contribute what I can and take part in the game's next incarnation.

Charles
AKA YojimboUsaka

PS  Sorry about the flood of information but I am just very excited about the revival of a well loved game.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
Welcome aboard YojimboUsaka

Hah, A flood you say, that's nothing. ;)

Be sure to take a look around, and feel free to jump in to any threads. Or, heck, even start a few of your own.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline earthdog

• Gremlin
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 07:33:04 AM »
Hello everybody,

Thought I'd follow the examples above and introduce myself a little.
I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who has never actually played the game itself. I only found the rule books on the discount table and due to a lack of miniatures never managed to get a game set up. Absolutely loved the background story though.
I'm primarily a modelbuilder but every once in a while a game background shows up that makes me want to do something with it.

My current occupations:
converting 1/72 mini’s for a Incursion setting,
converting a 1/72 foreign legion in space with opponents (think Aquablue cartoons)
and building 1/35 Imperial Guardsmen from 40-60 different regiments.

Also I'm from the Netherlands and not a native English speaker so if I write anything you don't understand please be patient and ask for an explanation.

Greetings
Edgar

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:01 PM »
Hello Group,

for those who do not know me, I am the poster formerly known as scarecrow.

I was introduced to LoS back when it was brand new by my best friend and fellow player who is known as Grendeljd here.  He had also introduced me to Warhammer 40k.

I played 40k and was mildly entertained at the notion of playing out tactical skirmishes, but it seemed a bit wonky to me.

When I started learning LoS it was like a bolt of ightning shot down my spine.  I *knew* this stuff.  This game was a simplified representation of my own training in the CF.  When I read the fluff in the book, including the organization of a Powered Infantry Battalion, I was totally hooked.

Planetstorm arrived as a much sought-after ability to get out of the FIBUA setting and into the open field.  I dreamed of the day the Stormfront addition would arrive.

I wrote various 'house rules' which earned the acceptance of our playing group, some of it grudgingly I'll admit, but above all, it was great fun.

I had a dream of contributing additional material, but found out LoS was already dying by that time.

And here we are now.  I no longer serve as an infantry sergeant, but that is always where my heart will be.

Arfiel

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »
Hey all,

I have not played LOS for many years now began way back when it was just a baby.
I played with Grendeljd and sergeant_hastp.

Although I have been out of action for sometime, if the game were to relaunch with some follow through (figure releases ect.) I would be stoked to play again. Lets just hope the Infranights don't get left behind again.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
Welcome, Arfiel.

My goal is to get LOS back up and running this year: 11-11-11

How could the Infranites be left behind?  They are so f@#$%^&*ing deadly?

Sincerely,

Clark

Arfiel

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
I just found their figures harder to find than the other armies. The army was great! A bit pricy to field but like I said each figure can handle any problem. I think i recall some of the more powerful machine figures falling to the firepower and hand to hand prowess of the Infranights.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »
Not to be too subtle...but...if someone doesn't point it out, I fear it's going to be one of those  "You guys knew I was spelling it wrong all those years and never TOLD ME??"

Infranites

vs

Infranights

You should know better....they were your favourites!!  lol.

Arfiel

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
My excuses is: I don't have my books anymore, and have not played for many years! 

Offline Katharsis

• Nightmare
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:13 AM »
Hello all!
Just thought i'd introduce myself... i am one of the 'original' artist/designer but, don't take too much out of that statement, it was definitely a collaborative effort!
Thanks Clark for the 'invite' and its good to hear your 'voice' again as well :P
(it would be sweet if i could find copies of the books again, too!)
Another suggestion for this site would be a Q&A for any of the game designers, artists, sculptors etc... lots of people came together for a cool project in an industry innundated with selfish people. So.... kudos to us!! lol

~Dave McKay

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »
Hey there Katharsis, Welcome!

a Q&A sounds like a nice idea...  maybe someone will kick it off in the General Discussion area. :)

I'd definitely like to have some people who know the details start updating the WIKI information with actual content.

right now the site is very much a framework that needs some content. :)

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
Dave McKay!! Awesome, glad to see you on here! I always liked your work in the books, especially your machine drawings. The sniper with the damaged head is my absolute favourite. I also preferred pretty much any of your drawings of nightmares over any of the other guys [no offence to them, they are all talented].
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Katharsis

• Nightmare
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 10:27:36 PM »
thank you for the compliments, Grendlejd!
I really enjoyed working with 'da boyz' and was happy to see this site after soooo many years! It's interesting what others say about artwork and what they like or dislike... one of my favourite pieces that i did was the dark empire 1/4 page of the trooper shooting over his fallen comrade in the rain and the full page in the snow from the Planetstorm book (i think), the full page Infranite with the machine throne is tops as well!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:19:28 PM by Katharsis »