News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: What basic color scheme did you paint your army?  (Read 12028 times)

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
What basic color scheme did you paint your army?
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
I painted my UNE Commando's in two different schemes. The primary was Blue with a red visior screen. (other colors used for highlighting.)

The other was more of a machine dull camo. To fit into the colors found in most Machine underground bases.

The Infranites that I have, I did in a base olive green, then camo pattern on top of that.

The machines, I did not get very far on most of them. Just the standard, good old machine colors. 2 reasons, Since a often tried to get new players into the game (when it was available), I like having the standard basic machine. We had several other players who did some very cool looking machines, that would help show the new players what they could do.
Second reason, it was quicker doing the basic then personalizing the Machines. (Lazy ;) )

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Re: What basic color scheme did you paint your army?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »
My painted miniatures weren't actually painted by me, but by the people I bought them from.

The U.N.E. troops are the most detailed, with a US Marines paint-scheme of black with red trim and occasional edge-flames; the visors are blue with highlights. Weapons are generally done in metallic dry-brushing over black, silver for the main areas, and gold for ammo and other details. The original owner also went through the trouble of adding a custom shoulder badge with a US flag on it, individual trooper names, and rank chevrons. I'm really not that fond of the paint scheme as a whole, but I have to say that it was very well done.

The same owner also painted a number of my Fantasian troops, and for those s/he opted for a dark "Soviet" green, with red star shoulder patches and weapon details. Weapons are otherwise done in more-or-less standard metallic dry-brushing over blacks.

My Machines are the most complete, and the forces that are painted are all done with metallic dry-brushing (mostly silver, with a few others) over black, with occasional bright, subtly-shaded colours for highlight areas (one shoulder of Mk I Assault Fiend, G3A Disruptor Swords, G1C Nega-sphere Generator barrels, etc.). Simple, but looks great on the table.

Neither my Black Empire nor my Infranites have received a lick of paint yet, but I've been meaning to get around to it for a couple months now. I've been toying with the idea of contracting the painting of the Black Empire stuff out, as I don't think I can do the miniatures justice, but I think I'm going to do the Infranites myself, probably with the dip method. I was thinking of ranging from deep reds to much brighter orangey-brown with them.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »
Well, My UNE are a two-or-three colour camo: a yellow-brown base, quite bright, with large chocolate-brown irregular patches. On some the darker brown is outlined in a light bone tone. There's a little shading, mostly via a wash, on the yellow-brown, and a highlight in a lighter gold-brown there too. It adds up to a scheme that looks like camo but really is fairly striking. Weapons are mostly a very dark green on the furniture and various metallics on the barrels and details, from an almost black metallic on some to drybrushed silver on others.

I've spent years slowly working my way through my UNE so the paint methods and brands have changed three times over the course of the never-ending project.

Machines are drybrushed metallic mostly, with occasional very bright colours, usually primary, to add unit markers, eyes, and little details. Some machines get special attention, usually for a midnight blue or black scheme.

Infranites have a unique colour scheme where they get a light brown then washed with old-fashioned GW shading ink (brown). That gives them a glossy, beetle-like red-brown base colour. Weapons get a tan or grey coat all over, unit markings are in deep intense colours. I like the effect but thousands wouldn't ;) BAPs get that same technique on the biological-looking "shell", then tan on the flatter surfaces, and a light blue underbelly. Metallic is mostly gold for the BAP.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »
I painted several sets of Machines and UNE, and those have disappeared into the ether over the last decade or so.

The first humans were done in an urban camo  with various shades of grey and blue criss-crossing at right angles.  The heavy weapon troopers were named Bambi and Thumper.

The most memorable Machine hordes were the arctic and desert patterns.  The artic Nightmares were done in your basic metallic pattern with a blue wash and a white dry brush.  The desert Nightmares were done in copper with a red wash and a bit of brown dry brushing.  The snow Fiend was one of my best pieces but I don't know what happened to it.

Offline HardRock

• Nightmare
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:23:39 AM »
My machines are the most developed of all the armies. I got some Chrome spray paint from an Auto Shop. Blue wash, rubbed off the high points, clear red for the eyes. Weapons are steel or parkerized gray, different times, oops. Some of the larger fiends with exposed muscle, I'm going to use a clear purple. I haven't found one yet, but have a couple of experiments. I liked the look from the Power Rangers movie, my daughter was a big fan back in the day.

My UNE are intermediate blue with a UN blue helmet, UNE in white on the top. Silver visor, edged in charcoal, to give that rubber seal look. Weapons are parkerized gray, no oops here.

Henry
Henry

"Don't worry, it'll be a piece of cake."

"You can have my slice!" Doc LeRoix - Roughnecks

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »
I've posted some images of the few UNE soldiers I have painted in the Models folder - namely an Assault Section. I based them on a colour scheme example in the Planetstorm book. I recommend viewing them at full size to catch some of the detail I still can't believe I managed to squeeze onto them :)

Here's one example;

[smg id=25]

I'll post some pics of my Machine army once I have time to take more photos.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:08:50 AM by grendeljd »
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »
My UNE powered infantry soldiers wore olive drab, with black boots, visors and hands and with red and white Canadian flag on the right knee cap.  Corporals and Sergeants wore gold lanyards fashioned from thin wire.

The commandos wore olive drab, with dark green bars at random angles as a nod to digital camo.  They had subdued red maple leaf on the right knee cap and red visors.

The base of each figure had a white bar where I inscribed the name of the figure, based on the soldiers I was serving with at the time.  Interesting fact: my platoon commander figure, who was a Captain at the time is now a Lieutennant Colonel.  The Platoon Warrant is now commissioned a Captain, after doing his time as Regimental Sergeant Major.

I had a squad of US Army, that I did in the 'chocolate chip' desert cam of Desert Storm, with silver visors, and Vietnam-era inspired graphitti on the armor.

I had a section of Japanese commandos, in night blue, with a white and red japanese warflag design covering the right shoulders of each figure, and Kanji for japan on the right kneecap.

The sergeant wore Katana and Wakizashi fashioned from toothpicks..

I had a pair of chinese commandos in communist red and yellow.

I had a swedish inspired section designed around the Carl Gustav.  They were light green, with three gold crowns on the right shoulder.

My Fantasians were based on the cover art for the Alien Sourcebook, except for the Drop Section, which I painted white and green, in the fashion of the paratroopers seen in the movie Red Dawn.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:43:37 AM by sergeant_hastp »

Offline grendeljd

• Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »
I always liked your army colours, JP - I am still tempted to paint my own commandos in a similar pattern of Olive Green & Black because of yours. Yes, sadly mine are all still unpainted to this day - I only have an Assault section done up nice-nice.

I was looking at the media section more closely, I see that there are options for commenting on and rating any images posted there. I think thats great, its one thing about sites like Facebook that I actually enjoy - being able to give/get feedback or discuss directly on images posted... I'd test it out but I think it would be tremendously egotistical of me to comment on my own pics here, and I don't have much to say about the catalogue images of the figures posted by Kindred, as nice as it is to see 'em...  so come on, everyone, lets get posting our stuff up on here, eh?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:01:03 AM by grendeljd »

Arfiel

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
Sergeant_hastp, I am surprised you don't have that big army of Infranights painted up yet.

That is if you can get the old paint off. I wanted to start over for many a year except that we stopped playing.

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »
Dude,

I only have them in safe keeping for you.  ;)

Heck I still have figures in blister packs.

Offline grendeljd

• Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:11 AM »
Forgot to mention, I've posted a couple pics of my Internal Security Horde [well, one of them, anyway] in the Machine section of the Models folder;

[smg id=35]

Offline Sureshaker

• Gremlin
    • Gamin Daze
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:26:40 AM »
 My Nightmares are chrome with a dark blue ink rubbed off and red details, the weapons , gunmetal gray and a black wash.  The UNE are medium gray urban splinter camo, with the weapons treated the same as the Nightmares.
Twice a year in Kansas City, Recruits-Con miniatures gaming convention. March & September.

Recruits-Con
http://recruits.mtswebsites.com/index.php

My Blog
http://gamindaze.blogspot.com/

Offline Masherking

• Gremlin
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »
did my machine in GW metal mix with a good amount of blue ink.
done right it gives a nice Robocop blue metal look.

Black empire was black with white panels with gold bits

FAntisans ( did I spell that right) basic troopers were Red
Leader was black with red trim.

Havent painted the others yet

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
My UNE are mostly painted in green with blotches brown camo patterns. Some of the heavy weapons troopers are Blue.
I have painted a variety of country flags on the shoulder pads...

My Black Empire are black, silver, gold and purple.  :)

Offline dracio

• Gremlin
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »
The machines I am painting for a friend of my dad are all done in a "Blood Lord" Computer scheme of bone and red with a little gold and silver thrown in for a good mix.