rubber-police

Author Topic: Too much ego?  (Read 9163 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Too much ego?
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:11:12 PM »
I made an entry into Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_wargaming

Clark Browning - A sergeant with the Canadian Military Engineers Reserves, he designed the mechanics of Legions of Steel. While not commercially successful, the system is lauded for its tactical options and 'realism', as much as it can be simulated. The fans of the system - who have unofficially converted numerous science fiction properties - are notable for their disproportionate number of active and former military and police.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
Re: Too much ego?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »
No, I think it's a pretty fair entry, and, honestly, people with military backgrounds did praise the system highly.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »
Except for the Yanks and the "must autofire" rule, lol.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »
Except for the Yanks and the "must autofire" rule, lol.

I always chuckled at that rule....

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
Some guys got really upset about it, so here is how I diffused the situation:

"That's pretty insulting.  The US Army has developed excellent fire discipline."
"Well, I was writing about the Marines"
"Oh, ya, I see what you mean."
"We have great fire discipline."
"USMC?"
"Yes."
"I was writing about the Army."
"Well, ok then, you are right."

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
..that is the way of fighting without fighting.

Blame another service  ;D

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
While not commercially successful, the system is lauded for its tactical options and 'realism', as much as it can be simulated.

Its a shame to state that about the commercial success. Your company may have folded in the end, but that couldn't have been in large part due to LoS itself... the game always sold well back then, I thought. Hell, I used to work in a couple of comic/gaming shops at the time and didn't have too much trouble moving it.

A funny story related to the American 'autofiring' tangent;

As I have mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I used to play music by Front Line Assembly to set a certain 'mood'. They have a penchant for incorporating quotes from various movies into their tunes.

One night JP was using his American [nicely painted] squads, and at a particular moment when a behemoth was about to unload fully on a few of my nightmares, one of the more infamous quotes came up, perfectly timed - it was from the movie Falling Down; "I'm an American - You're a sick *******". The next second he made his dice role and I think he ended up nicely mowing down nearly all the Nightmares he was targeting.  Talk about my 'psychological warfare' strategy backfiring, LOL!
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
LOL..thats funny!!

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »
I remember that moment!

That was a case of perfect situation mixed with perfect timing.  Couldn't have done that INTENTIONALLY if we tried.

That was a squad from the 101st Airborne...Powered Armor company.  The figure was nick-named 'Animal' and he bowled a strike!  :D

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 11:37:47 PM »
While not commercially successful, the system is lauded for its tactical options and 'realism', as much as it can be simulated.

Its a shame to state that about the commercial success. Your company may have folded in the end, but that couldn't have been in large part due to LoS itself... the game always sold well back then, I thought. Hell, I used to work in a couple of comic/gaming shops at the time and didn't have too much trouble moving it.

I can never thank anyone enough for their support in this.

There were only two things that really bothered me.

1) The Rack Deal experience and why all these retailers who seemed to take the leap of faith didn't/couldn't/wouldn't move the product we gave them on such sweet terms.

2) Enough with the Space Hulk rip-off critiques.  Yes the format is the same but everything else is different.  WH is closer to Chainmail than LOS is to SH.  Hell, 40K is arguably closer to Chainmail.

I was giving a bit of hard facts rather than tooting my own horn there.

A funny story related to the American 'autofiring' tangent;

As I have mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I used to play music by Front Line Assembly to set a certain 'mood'. They have a penchant for incorporating quotes from various movies into their tunes.

One night JP was using his American [nicely painted] squads, and at a particular moment when a behemoth was about to unload fully on a few of my nightmares, one of the more infamous quotes came up, perfectly timed - it was from the movie Falling Down; "I'm an American - You're a sick *******". The next second he made his dice role and I think he ended up nicely mowing down nearly all the Nightmares he was targeting.  Talk about my 'psychological warfare' strategy backfiring, LOL!

For the life of me, I can't figure if that is ironic or apropos.

But you get these theoretical problems when you dis 75% of your customer base.  ;D

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
oh that fucking rack deal.

lazy useless idiots didn't even open half the packing boxes while they had them.

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
actually, my local store did a lot of stuff with LoS. We had weekly LoS game night and sold a fair number of the model (so much so that, once they were no longer available, our store didn't have any back stock.)

We even reviewed the game rules and prepared a full analysis from 6 of us long time gamers.
(sorry Clark, while we loved the LoS indoor game, we hated the PlanetStorm rules. We had about 10 pages of commentary on that -- which I, unfortunately, can no longer find)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »
Well, you will have a chance to recreate that commentary later this year.  Planetstorm needs a rework much worse than LOS, but one thing at a time.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
What was maddening about the rack deals was that very few stores that actually put the product out, didn't sell a fair bit of it.

It was teh return of so many packages, still sealed after 3 months, that was the issue - the stuff never even made it to the shelves.