Author Topic: Incredible new 3d tile maps - Kickstarter by Battle Systems  (Read 1420 times)

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
Incredible new 3d tile maps - Kickstarter by Battle Systems
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »

Check out this kickstarter campaign for some incredible cardboard 3d, multi-tiered map tiles by Battle Systems.

Wow are these impressive, and what a tempting kickstarter campaign to back... there is a sweet spot bid called 'Stronghold' that gets you a ton of pieces...

Makes me think we should develop some house rules for LoS maps that engage on 2 or more levels high!
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
Re: Incredible new 3d tile maps - Kickstarter by Battle Systems
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:09:49 PM »
Yup, that is cool.

Better than Mantic's only because it is in color.

Some of the example layouts look like they were taken from Fallout (PC game) and X-Com (PC game)

I will have to keep an eye on it for now. Between trying to horde up some money for LoS reboot and medical, I just can not justify ordering any of it right now. Even if the price for it is awesome compared to what it will be at retail.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:07:09 AM »
Yeah, its still not cheap to back this at a level that gets you a ton of extra value for your $$.

I feel like I will kick myself for not getting into it though - despite not having time to play games much these days, I really like the idea of generating some LoS move-&-fire rules to incorporate the multi levels & stairs. It wouldn't be so difficult considering these boards are laid out with movement squares that work with LoS already.

For firing I could see simply adding somewhere between +2 - +5 to your range to shoot at an angle from one tier to another...
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
I'm getting this one. Simple design, great graphics, reusable...

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
So moving or firing up or down adds +2 to range / movement, line-of-fire up or down is by the dreaded GW eyeball line of sight, and throwing a grenade UP is at an additional arbitrary -1 ?

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:11:42 AM »
We did back this project here, it just looks gorgeous. And I think the guys at our local game club did too. We will use it for LOS and other games I guess.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
The ground scale in LOS is warped in that 1"=2m but given the size of the figs, 1.5" should be about 2m.  The tiers match the height of the figs, not the ground scale, but they try to make it all match up.  For simplicity sake, pretend the ground and height scale match, and the trigonomitry can be approximated the same way we do with the diagonal rule.  When looking at X(range) Y(diagonals) and Z (tiers) count the latter as 2" each then add the largest, plus have the next plus a quarter of the smallest.  So 4" range plus 4 diagonals plus two tiers for another 4" would be 4+2+1=7"  Actual calculation= 6.93"