rubber-police

News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: New miniatures versus Old Miniatures  (Read 3921 times)

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Re: New miniatures versus Old Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
Yeah, I think the question with an issue like that is whether it's a playstyle preference, or true mechanical imbalance.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 01:37:25 PM »
Very true, good point.

I certainly had a preference for keeping my MK1A1's at a distance from my opponents, to take advantage of the better ranged weapon & make heavy use of that precious single Leadership point. It seemed like I always had very bad luck with the MK1, whenever I tried to move one in close to engage & slaughter, it would get taken out easily & I often managed to miss my hit rolls quite spectacularly - resulting in a very poor trade in on the UPV cost of it.

But my playing style always involved preserving every figure as best as possible, calculating the risks of every move to maximize my chances of killing without being killed. I'm sure everyone does that to some extent, but i was fairly particular about it. There's a reason my gaming group called me the Human Computer back then  ;D
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
I love the Mk1 because I like high-risk plays, basically. I love trying to maneuver for a decisive hit.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »
While the Assault Fiend (along with the Succubot) was one of the original figure conceptions, the original intent for the boxed set was a straight up special-forces-storm-the-lair-defended-by-conventional-forces battle with a commando section against 12 Nightmares.  Rob Prior, the artist who later did the cover art for the Black Box said "You just GOTTA have THAT guy in the basic game."

When I first came up with the idea, I called it a Balrog. Then we saw Tom Frank's conception art. We left it virtually unchanged and adopted the title he had scribbled in the corner: "Assault Fiend, Mk I".