Author Topic: Kickstarter pledge  (Read 3180 times)

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Kickstarter pledge
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
Okay, I'm curious: who here has pledged for the new LoS video game Kickstarter? Who is thinking of pledging, but hasn't yet? How much have you/will you pledge? Who doesn't think they'll pledge? And for all of the above, why?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at the other threads at the top of the General forum.

Full disclosure: I have not yet pledged, but I will, probably at the EVERYTHING (£150) level.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
Re: Kickstarter pledge
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
I second this message :)
We really want to know the rewards you like/dislike, and if you think we should adjust them.
Thanks a lot.

Offline mongol

• Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »
I like to know about the physical size of the rulebook. Will it be fully colored? How many pages are there? Will it include the the background from Alien Races and Planetstorm?

Price is too high to be in the exclusive tournament. The special limited edition of the status as a price does not appeal to video game players at all. Tabletop players will not find it attractive because the other physical components of the game are not available.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
I was pledger #11 or 12 :)

I could not be online when it actually went live.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »
I could not be online when it actually went live.
I knew there had to be a reason when you said, "11 or 12..."
 ;D
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:01:39 AM »
I like to know about the physical size of the rulebook. Will it be fully colored? How many pages are there? Will it include the the background from Alien Races and Planetstorm?

Price is too high to be in the exclusive tournament. The special limited edition of the status as a price does not appeal to video game players at all. Tabletop players will not find it attractive because the other physical components of the game are not available.

Thanks for the comments!
The rulebook will be 8 inch tall, full color, 60 to 80 pages. The Planetstorm book and the Alien Sourcebook will not be included. 
It is not decided whether it would be the Black or Blue box edition book that would be recreated. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Clark has a preference for the the Black box. If we do the Black Box book we will append the scenario booklet. Let me know what you guys prefer.

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
Based on what your video game appears to cover, I would go with the Black Box and accompanying scenario book. Do you know if you intend to implement any rules that are not covered in, or are changed from, the Black Box?
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
No new rule for the release, but we plan to update the game post-launch with variants.

We received this comment from one of our backers. What do you think? Looks like a good idea to me.

Can I suggest that you set up "add-ons"?
I just bought into the new £10 pledge so that I can get PC & Android, but I'd also like to get a copy of the rulebook.
If you had add-ons, you could have a £5 / game add-on and a £5 / rulebook add-on, then I could have, say, 2 additional copies of the game (for 4 total copies) and a rulebook for a total pledge of £10 + £5 + £5 + £5 = £25.
A lot of the other Kickstarter projects I've supported use BackerKit to manage all of the add-ons and whatnot...

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Add on's do help the money pledged but can mean more work for the company. I do not know anything about the back end of KS but I have heard this from several that I have backed.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »
The issue is normally with add-ons that are discrete from core items that the Kickstarter is for; these then have to be produced separately. In this case the backer is asking for add-ons you're going to be making anyway. However, you need to consider whether or not having these as discrete add-ons compromises the desireability of your pledge levels. I've only glanced at your Kickstarter so far, but I was looking at the EVERYTHING level because it gave me the items that I wanted plus a second copy of the game. If you list all those items as add-ons I might be able to get my desired list of stuff for less money, potentially lowering the amount you'll get from me and everyone else who wants the same items. On the other hand, structuring it that way may attract more prospective backers who wouldn't otherwise pledge because it allows them to get what they want at a price point they feel they can manage.

By the way, several items in your MISSION BRIEFING mock-up are rather awkward, seemingly due to translation. Do you have someone on your team working on localization/translation? I ask because I'm guessing the vast majority of your market will be english speaking.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:04:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.
We do have somebody proofreading the language but I guess we missed proofreading the briefing video. We'll have him review the briefing, and we will update the video.

Ok for the add-ons, we'll think about it today and see if we go for it or not. Thank you guys!

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
We really want to know the rewards you like/dislike, and if you think we should adjust them.
Thanks a lot.

This may be way to late or difficult to pull off, but one reward(s) I'd love to see is new miniature sculpts offered.  Hear me out...

Since this is essentially a reboot of the original Black Box game, you have 'new' versions of the classic Commando/Nightmare/Fiend that we all know.  Having somebody sculpt new versions of these minis would be a great way to allow old/new gamers to update the look of their board game and tie-in with the updated printed rulebook you have as a reward.

In reality, you would only need 4 sculpts just like the old Black Box had.  Not a particularly huge investment considering.  Offering Nightmares at lower level pledges and working up to the Fiend at the higher levels gives the rewards some added excitement.  Offering them as add-ons would also bring in some extra funds.  The trick would be to get this done at a low cost, but I'm just here making a suggestion;-)

Anyhoo, was just thinking out loud on ways to make the KS rewards possibly more desirable and reaching out to all gamers who were ever associated with this game in the past.  Would be kinda neat to see demo games being run at conventions with miniatures to match the electronic game...and a reason for people getting the reprinted rulebook to even use it.

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
I would have loved to be able to pull it off, but this was a bit too complicated, costly, and we do not have the craft knowledge (we are video game developers).
However I know some of you are thinking about re-launching the physical board game. If it ever happens, you guys are free to take any or all of the artwork we are producing for the video game (as long as Clark Browning is okay with your project and you cleared all legal issues).
More artwork will come soon.

I am super busy with all the PR work, but I will try to find the time this weekend to post about the redesign of the troopers. 

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »
That is actually a great idea, Karpov. At this point we would just need to know if we could get the right people involved, clear the legalities with Clark, & get those people willing to do it on the promise of $$ with a successful KS campaign - and soon, since the campaign is underway. Dave Summers did show up here recently, he might be a guy willing to do sculpts of Romain's/NYX's LoS designs...
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Karpov

• Nightmare
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
Yeah, the more I thought about it (after Ro's post), getting somebody to commit to the potential of the work is really the biggest hurdle.  Like any KS, if the funds don't come thru then the work by the sculpter isn't required.  So having somebody trustworthy and relatively quick to commit to the potential job (4 sculpts, or 3 if you do seperate arms for the Commando) would really be the main sticking point.  The minis would be shipped like most other KS perks are...when they are done.  So having a good chap that works fairly quickly makes it very do-able.