Author Topic: Newbie asking for tips and suggestions  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Parduz

• Gremlin
Newbie asking for tips and suggestions
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Hello to all.
I'm Italian (pls pardon my poor english) and I'm a long time boardgamer (a nice way to say that i'm becoming old ;) )

I discovered Legions of Steel some years ago and bought a box via EBay.... which was in portuguese  :-\
Well, i managed to have the scan of the rules (both blue and black box), and i planned to play LOS...

... then real life took some credit, some years are passed, and my LOS box drowned in 30cm of mud when my basement get flooded.

Now i'm back, 'cause i felt that the rules were much better than the game i love most (Space Crusade).
I'd want to play LOS using AT-43 minis, which have very large bases (30cm). I've found a publisher which sells "sci-fi tiles" in PDF and with 30cm squares.
  • The tiles i've mentioned are all double corridors (i mean: each corridor is 2 squares wide). How the play will change if i'll use that large corridors instead of the original ones? How does it affect gameplay and tactics?
  • Which rules version is the best? I remember someone telling me to use the blue box rules with the black box scenarios .... or the opposite.... or perhaps was the "army list" that was better in one version than in the another....  ??? well, what should i use?
  • How to recon one version of the rules from the other? Which version are the rulebook available in the "Media" page?
  • I'm writing a doc with the OCRed rules, including the FAQ, the Errata, the advanced ones etc. There's interest on having it as a "rule compendium"? If the authors agree, i could share it via google docs for the final editing and revision, while waiting for the new rules in developement)
Thanks for now, i'm sure new questions will arise after the answers to these.

Ciao :)

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
Re: Newbie asking for tips and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
The tiles i've mentioned are all double corridors (i mean: each corridor is 2 squares wide). How the play will change if i'll use that large corridors instead of the original ones? How does it affect gameplay and tactics

Well the wider corridors will affect how units move, deviation on grenades and a wide variety of other factors. The LoS scenarios are well balanced so if you are playing competitively or following scenarios with different maps, expect different outcomes. If you are playing for fun, its no problem of course

Which rules version is the best? I remember someone telling me to use the blue box rules with the black box scenarios .... or the opposite.... or perhaps was the "army list" that was better in one version than in the another....  ??? well, what should i use?

How to recon one version of the rules from the other? Which version are the rulebook available in the "Media" page?

Play them both and see what rules you like. Black Box rules are the basics and good to get a start on. I believe all the rules are available here for free now. I like the advanced rules with as many options as possible. Also look for Planetstorm Rulebook on Ebay if you want outdoor rules. If your doing conversions, Steve Gibson has a lot of different conversions that he has made availible here. There are also some updated tiles to print out on this site

I'm writing a doc with the OCRed rules, including the FAQ, the Errata, the advanced ones etc. There's interest on having it as a "rule compendium"? If the authors agree, i could share it via google docs for the final editing and revision, while waiting for the new rules in developement)

Love to see it!

Offline Parduz

• Gremlin
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:33:39 AM »
Thanks for your reply!
The tiles i've mentioned are all double corridors (i mean: each corridor is 2 squares wide). How the play will change if i'll use that large corridors instead of the original ones? How does it affect gameplay and tactics
Well the wider corridors will affect how units move, deviation on grenades and a wide variety of other factors. The LoS scenarios are well balanced so if you are playing competitively or following scenarios with different maps, expect different outcomes. If you are playing for fun, its no problem of course
What i'm worried about (sorry if this questions are dumb.... i still have'nt played a game) is if Forcewalls, suppression and other "game effect" loose "efficiency" in wider corridors: they seems important things and i don't want to make the game less interesting just 'cause it was designed for tight areas (if this is the case....)

Also look for Planetstorm Rulebook on Ebay
I can't find nothing.
Now, since there's already the LOS rules shared here, there's any reason for Planetstorm rulebook not being in the Media section?
Or is it still sold "officially" from somewhere?

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:59 AM »
Not as many Planetstorm fans. It had severe points-balance issues. It's still fun, though.

If all the corridors are 2 wide, make forcewalls 2 wide for a quick fix. Nachtmachers and others should be unaffected or not matter much. Grenades will be a little harder to land perfectly but might find more targets, packed 2 wide, when they land.

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
Hi Parduz, welcome to the site! I think we have corresponded a couple times about LoS on BGG, haven't we?

Not as many Planetstorm fans. It had severe points-balance issues. It's still fun, though.
What were some of the "points issues" you were referring to? I haven't played Planetstorm nearly as much as LoS, but definitely had a sense of some things being wonky, though not specifically about point values. I was hoping to get a game of it in in the not too distant future, and while looking at several other systems recently (Stargrunt II, Infinity, Vor, Tomorrow's War, etc.), I've been thinking a lot about how to tweak it. Maybe this should be the topic of another thread...

If all the corridors are 2 wide, make forcewalls 2 wide for a quick fix.
Personally, I don't know that this change is really necessary. Wider rooms definitely change the dynamics of Forcewall use, but that's the idea. Note that they're not rendered useless, by any means; they can still block line of fire, force troops to move around them (costs more movement), and can provide line of fire penalties (same as shooting past a corner) when they don't block it completely.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Parduz

• Gremlin
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
Thanks to all again.

I'll try to see how it comes out with or without the variation, then :)

Hi Parduz, welcome to the site! I think we have corresponded a couple times about LoS on BGG, haven't we?
Yep. My nick and avatar is the same everywhere on the web, so it was me :)

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:58 AM »
I can't remember precisely, but the points rubric broke in the outdoors due to the longer ranges. I believe Demian Rose posted what he thought were better UPVs.

An example was that the Infranite BAP was cheap enough to field in squadrons and pretty much lay waste to the entire battlefield.

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
I can't remember precisely, but the points rubric broke in the outdoors due to the longer ranges. I believe Demian Rose posted what he thought were better UPVs.
Any idea where that was posted? Is the information still online?

An example was that the Infranite BAP was cheap enough to field in squadrons and pretty much lay waste to the entire battlefield.
Ahh, yes, the BAP. Is it me, or were Infranites as a race designed by a munchkin? Is that racist to say that?  :P
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »
Yeah they were a bit munchkin. They suffered a lot from "SUPER BEST AT SUPER EVERYTHING" which means depending what rules/ points rubric you used they either won too much or NEVER.

Theoretically I have some of the updated UPVs somewhere, they might also be in the yahoogroup's files section, which I don't think I can get into.

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
I'll have a look over there when I get a chance and post them here if I find them.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »
Now, since there's already the LOS rules shared here, there's any reason for Planetstorm rulebook not being in the Media section?
Or is it still sold "officially" from somewhere?

I recently discovered NobleKnight.com ... this site has probably been mentioned elsewhere before, but I got some copies of the AT-43 books for super cheap off there, and currently there are some LoS rulebooks & figures available. Have a look;

LoS on NobleKnight.com
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
I have dealt with them many, many times for lots of different things. They are great to deal with, but they are not the cheapest. To some extent, you get what you pay for with them: almost no problems, well-packed, shipped fast, and always willing to sort out the occasional difficulties.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 01:30:26 PM »
I have dealt with them many, many times for lots of different things. They are great to deal with, but they are not the cheapest. To some extent, you get what you pay for with them: almost no problems, well-packed, shipped fast, and always willing to sort out the occasional difficulties.
Not the cheapest?! Wow - I got a few AT-43 books for $5 each, one was only $2. Thats pretty cheap!  ;D

Its a pretty cool site, I'm glad I found it.
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Ahh, yes, the BAP. Is it me, or were Infranites as a race designed by a munchkin? Is that racist to say that?  :P

Too funny! The Infranites were largely designed by Marco and then I was tasked with creating stats for the weapons and then trying to point cost them.  Various typos crept in that gave the RiP an ROF of 2 rather than 1 and the HE round a kill number one better than it should have had.  Those glitches basically doubled the firepower which increased the effective combat value to perhaps a third more than it should have been.  That would have been multiplied on an open battlefield where there is more of a stand off distance from various short-ranged devastation weapons.

Setting aside the BAP, a Machine Horde was 11 figs, a Fantasian unit typically 10, UNE 8 and Infranite only 6 at basically the same UPV. 

Offline smokingwreckage

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »
I can't help loving the Infranites, though. From their small agile teams to their ridiculously awesome walking tanks to the aesthetic for the race itself.