Author Topic: Legions of Steel: Fantasy  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Legions of Steel: Fantasy
« on: November 04, 2014, 05:42:41 PM »
Just canvasing what everyone thinks of the idea.
Working title would be "Legions of Doom" but there are numerious copyright and trademark problems.

Any thoughts?

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
Re: Legions of Steel: Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
I had fun with inferno.. It'd be nice to break out those figures again. :)

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »
Its one of the things I have always wanted to see you guys do....I always thought you could take the LoS rules and apply them to other genres and themes.  You started going that way with the historical Stalingrad. Thats one of the reasons I asked about Close Combat rules for LoS in these forums. CC is such a critical component of fantasy games, it has to be incorporated into the core rules.  Magic is another element which introduces several challenges as well

It did force me to work on my own game. D10 Based, miniatures and everything. I have been working on  it for a few years and its getting close. 8)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
I had fun with inferno.. It'd be nice to break out those figures again. :)

Well, let's see how the LOS video game does, and what comes of that.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
Its one of the things I have always wanted to see you guys do....I always thought you could take the LoS rules and apply them to other genres and themes.  You started going that way with the historical Stalingrad. Thats one of the reasons I asked about Close Combat rules for LoS in these forums. CC is such a critical component of fantasy games, it has to be incorporated into the core rules.  Magic is another element which introduces several challenges as well

It did force me to work on my own game. D10 Based, miniatures and everything. I have been working on  it for a few years and its getting close. 8)

The rules were based on circa 1980's military doctrine taken into the early 22nd century. They could work back to WWI. Actually they would work back to the Civil War era where repeating firearms debuted.  True, given where we started, the HTH rules were purposely downplayed.  So the first concern is about a shift from the primacy of firearms to their non-existence and missile weapons set aside into perhaps an equal or lesser role. I've experimented with it, but the one roll to kill mechanism on a single D6 doesn't seem to work well for HTH combat. With firearms you have some factors to play with like range bands and ROF but you have a lot less variation in HTH unless you add aditional game mechanics.

What I am leaning towards is the "die in the die" or d6+d6 or d36 roll for various resolutions, or alternatively, the use of a deck of cards. (A bastardized D12x4+4 possibilities)

Setting that aside, I was more thinking about LOS Fantasy as being an RPG setting rather than a miniatures battle game. The titular "Legions of Doom" would be undead and various evil, soulles nightmarish things but heroes could include a Fantasian corsair, an Infranite Shaman or a Black Empire Drakkar, along with basic humans who could include the elite Wolfshead battalions and maybe the infamous Marshal Patterson, Deathslayer.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
Legions of Steel: Heavy Metal Album Cover Edition.

I would buy the HELL out of that.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:59:34 AM »
A thought: why not go with something conceptually simple, like "Legions of Steel: Damnation".

The LOA scientists working at the massive orbital facilities over the archaeological dig planet "Deep Black" thought they were looking at a recursion of the Galactic Rift. What they discovered was much, much more exotic...