rubber-police

News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: The Rules to start with  (Read 3230 times)

Offline peterpotente

• Nightmare
The Rules to start with
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »
Hi everybody,

I just downloaded the 1st (blackbox) rules, but mentioned that there are also the 2nd (bluebox), the rule of engagement , the advanced rules, FAQ and some scenario-books available.
Okay, I could use the rules I want to....but
1. I would like to know which rules-set had been played most and why,
2. and in which order are these books compatible (upward/downward)

It´s cause I started to translate the 1st(black) into german, just for fun  and to bring LoS to my friends gaming tables.....and perhaps to give this translation a try at the Los-Media folder.
Furthermore I could improve my english-knowledge.....

My goal is not only to translate one-by-one,  but to get them  later ideally combined  into something like a compilation.....

Thanks in advance
Peter

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Re: The Rules to start with
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:35 PM »
If I recall correctly, the books were released in the following order:

Black Box
Scenario Pack 1
Advanced Rules
Alien Sourcebook
Blue Box (Rules of Engagement)
Junction Point

The most up to date rulebook is, nominally, The Rules of Engagement. While it was sold on its own, it was also the rulebook included in the 2nd edition Blue Box of the base game. I tend not to start new people with this one, but the Black Box rules instead. A few of the reasons are: fewer options, simpler and more straightforward, and original missions. What I mean by the lattter is that the missions for the base game were changed between the Black Box and the Blue Box. The main reason is that the miniatures included in the two boxed sets were different (see the Wiki here for the list of contents). I don't think the changes were as well tested or balanced as the original missions. Plus, it's a lot more to manage for a new player when they have four or more unit types. The Black Box also came with seperate mission and rulebooks, and two copies of them so both players could have a copy handy; it's a little thing, but it's nice.

A couple other points to keep in mind are that some of the scenarios in the Advanced Rules require the templates that were typically bundled with the Advanced Rules. If you got (get) a copy without the templates, you can also use Template Pack 5, as it contains the same templates. The Alien Sourcebook (sort of) requires the Advanced Rules, as several of the races' specific rules from the former, are originally explained in the latter. The Alien Sourcebook also uses templates in some of its scenarios from several of the Template Packs/Advanced Rules. Lastly, Junction Point really requires both the Advanced Rules and the Alien Sourcebook, along with various Template Packs (I'd have to check to be any more specific).

Oh, and Scenario Pack 1 can mostly be played on its own with the Black Box, and is worth it no matter what else you have.

Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline peterpotente

• Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
Thanks, so I will go on with the Black rules. Yesterday I found Scenario Pack I.......ordered.

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »
Did you get it at Noble Knight? They had a couple copies for sale dirt cheap...
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline peterpotente

• Nightmare
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
No, I´ve got it at fanen.com. The prizing seemed okay, due to minor shipping costs. He´s still offering a Planetstorm rulebook.....but I guess I little bit highprized........

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »
I had a quick look at fanen.com...
 :o
Those prices on what's left are nuts! 50EURO for Planetstorm or the Alien Sourcebook?! Planetstorm is worth $5, maybe $10. The Alien Sourcebook somewhere between $10-$20. Or, at least, in my opinion - but I've bought and sold a lot of LoS stuff over the past few years. That's not considering shipping to Europe, obviously.

The trouble with a lot of these items now is that they are rare enough that, even though those prices are ridiculous, you might not see another copy for six months or more. But when you do (if it sells) it'll go for something like I mentioned above.

I don't mean to make you feel bad or anything - I'm glad you got what you were looking for - but I do have extra copies of Scenario Pack 1 I'd sell for considerably less than 50EURO. I'm tied up sorting miniatures on a large deal with someone right now, but if there's anything else you're looking for (by all means, look around the web first), let me know and I'll see if I have it and tell you what I would sell to you for. Then you can at least make the comparison.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline peterpotente

• Nightmare
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »
yeah, it´s a joke cause he marked up the prizes after I asked him if he just got anything else of the things he was offering.  I´ve got the scenario pack for 20€,...just high prized. But the biggest joke was when he told me""  ummmmh, I can´t remember bot I think I´ve got a Blue box sooomewheeeere..... I will look" then he wrote me " sorry, but I think I gave it away for free to someone who ordered some other Sience Fiction stuff........."arrrghhh
 ???

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »
The Black Box rules are the most elegant.  It plays like chess.  The addition of new figures complcated the math of trying to balance everything.  It is still all good fun but as an exercise in pure tactics, go with the Black Box.

And the releases were:

Black Box
Scenario Pack
Advanced Rules
Alien Sourcebook
Planetstorm
Junction Point
Blue Box

Plus various template packs, and Havoc magazine.

Offline Franck

• Gremlin
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »
Hi everybody,

I have just bought the Black box and the "Advanced Rules".
Do i have to purchase also the "Rules of Engagement" too?
Thanks

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
Franck,

If you have bought a complete Black box set with rulebook, scenario book, figs, templates etc - then you already have the core 'Rules of Engagement'. The original RoE booklet from the black box is a small black & white pamphlet [8.5"x5.5"], about 40 pages in length. There should also be a black & white scenario booklet which is 8.5"x11" in that box. Good that you've also got the advanced rules, there is some great stuff in that book too.

Enjoy learning the game, feel free to ask questions on here and please post some battle reports here when you get a chance to play!
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Franck

• Gremlin
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »
Thanks for your answer Grendeljd.
I indeed got the "little" rulebook with the Black Box.
And i certainly would have some questions about the rules.
Cheers