Author Topic: Space Elves (?!) et al.  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
Re: Space Elves (?!) et al.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »
The Infranite jet bike (my only truly original concept to that line, all the rest being working drawings off Dave's concepts) came about because everybody was getting a light vehicle type thing and there was really no question that it would be a jetbike.  In retrospect, some kind of bio engineered horsey thing could've been pretty cool too.  The Lightning looked the way it did because I'd been looking at F-16s and Arctic Cat ski doos...

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »
BTW, Fantasians aren't Orks, they're Imperial Guard, if you want to stick to GW archetypes...

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »
hmmm.... I always saw the UNE as the impies....  Fantasians had a dwarvish feel to me.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »
BTW, Fantasians aren't Orks, they're Imperial Guard, if you want to stick to GW archetypes...

I've never played 40k so my guess is that the comparison you are making is the clay pigeon aspect?

I was going by the basic look which I wanted to be Orkish but not orks (slit eyes, slit nose, tusks etc). 

Again, not having played 40k I perhaps made and error in thinking that if any race was going to run about in Fritz helmets chanting communist/fascist slogans it would be the Orks.  Although from further reading it appears the Space Marines and the Empire are generally Orwellian whackadoodles.

Last point: More Dakka (a term I picked up at the tropes site).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:18:15 PM by Clark »

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »
And Tom, while I've got your attention: WTF is  Kodin?

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »
  The Kodin were an avian style race I invented in some of the colour plates as members of the League of Aliens.  I saw them as primarily a naval power along the lines of, but not specifically stand ins for Conquistador era Spain (sans Inquisition) or England.  They lost most of their army in earlier engagements with the LOA and were subsequently tasked with transporting the new UNE forces.  They failed to support a UNE landing but later redeemed their honour during Admiral Iollico's deathride.
  There's a picture in Junction Point of a bunch of LOA around a plotting or conference table or something.  There's a Zoyone Hiver and next to it...the thing that looks like a long necked turkey,  is a Kodin.  Marco liked the concept of them but hated the appearance...so they likely would've been re-done at some point.  That was one of the panels from the comic.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »
Page 9, Planetstorm, dude on the far right.  It's only 1/8th of a page and with the ink bleeding during printing it's hard to get a good look at him.  Mantis man looks pretty cool.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
  I was making up so much of this stuff on the fly, it was kind of crazy, in an exhileratingly creative way.  Fortunately, it stayed coherent; I would think of a story as I did the art and then just write it down.  Marco gave me pretty much free reign and both he and Wes dealt with the more mundane but absolutely neccessary office and data entry tasks. 
  I think it was the Tabletop preview where Wes finally snapped, and put a Joke paragraph in that slipped by Marco's proof read....

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »
Ah, yes, the infamous poor lost confused ^%$# buggers.

"why is it MY fault just cause i wrote it?!?!!?!?  Are you telling me you didn't proof it before you sent it out, Marco!?"

not just my designs that moved fast.