Author Topic: Legions of Steel on your Tablet : Coming Soon  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Legions of Steel on your Tablet : Coming Soon
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:51:09 AM »
The development of LOS for the iPad is now well under way.  The design group is based out of France and taking the lead is my friend Romain who I met in Shanghai.  He has a lot of experience with large gaming software companies. The iPad version will be re imagining the figure designs but the game play is as close as reasonably possible to the board game. I think he has some pre-release stuff he wants to show you to get your feedback. He will be on this thread to answer your questions.

So I will turn it over to Romain to tell you more about what is in store.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:28:31 PM by Clark »

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
Re: Legions of Steel on your iPad : Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
Welcome to the board, Romain!

Looking forward to seeing some sneak peeks and hearing some details about the game.

Is it going to be an iPad release only, or will it also be available for iPhones & other mobile platforms?
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
Thanks Clark!

Dear LOS fans,

I am very happy to get in touch with this community. From the day I met Clark Browning I have been looking at a way to do a digital adaptation of Legions of Steel. I believe this version of LOS should be faithful in spirit and rules to the original one. In order to achieve that it needs to be developed independently, as the involvement of a publisher would probably lead to a setting change (I have been suggested to change the Commandos to counter-terrorist units and Machines to zombies, don’t laugh) and gameplay alteration. Crowdfunding gives us the opportunity to do the game we want. We aim at launching the Kickstarter campaign around August 15.

In the next following days we will be contacting a lot of people to spread the word, as a crowdfunding project requires a lot of communication, but I wanted you to be the very first informed.

In terms of project status, the pre-production and preliminary research are done. The first thing that was settled was the technology. We are using the Unity engine. Firstly we wanted to be able to easily port the game on other platforms in the future, secondly because we have used it for other project and are familiar with it, and finally because the community of Unity-developers here in Angoulême is growing rapidly so we can talk about it over lunch ;)
We did not change a line of the backstory. Honestly we thought about it, and quickly came to the conclusion there is no benefit to alter the original setting. Gameplay-wise the digital version will be extremely close to the board one, minus a few rules that can not be translated straightforwardly (Leadership points interrupts of course). Few unanswered questions still remain, but we plan to involve the community and ask you (and other potentially interested gamers) to choose between options. We would like to release those questions during the Kickstarter campaign. We decided to modernize the art direction though, and bring some cosmetic changes to the way characters and equipment look. I hope you guys will like it. It was part of the fun on our end to try to re-imagine how weapons and armors should look like. Our artists are currently working hard to allow us to release new artworks during and after the campaign.

We chose to develop the game for IOS and Android because they are natural and popular platforms for this type of games. Things are getting really serious now on smartphones and tablets for board and wargames lovers, and we have seen a real quality jump in the past year with very solid productions. However we do not close the door to other platforms if the demand is strong.

We really hope you guys will help us with the word of mouth among your friends and social networks. The Legions of Steel rules system has many strong features to make it shine among tactical games, but we need to shout it to the world if we want to make this digital version happen.

Do not forget we are available for any question you may have (here or through our website/social network pages), and we hope to see you for the kickoff of the crowdfunding campaign, which I will announce here of course.

Final note: I have read some of you would be keen on re-launching the physical game. Perhaps our digital crowdfunding campaign, and then released game, could be a springboard for the board game version. I invite you to think about it. As long as Clark is aware and backing the project, we would be delighted to bring help and support.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:29:16 PM by Romain »

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »
You can follow us on the Facebook page we created for the occasion. We will populate it with posts and artworks before, during, and after the KS campaign. We will soon be on Twitter and Google+ as well.

www.facebook.com/nyxsquad

Offline gdieckhaus

• Nightmare
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
Awesome!

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Re: Legions of Steel on your Tablet : Coming Soon
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
I'm blown away.

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
Sounds great. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more details.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Archimedes_12

• Gremlin
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »
As a LOS fan this makes me happy.  As a Microsoft Surface owner, this makes me sad.

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
Ah... Sorry about that Archemedes_12

I take the opportunity to tell you guys I decided to delay the KS campaign for a few days as I am waiting for an information about a special reward we would like to include for higher pledge levels. (and I do not want to commit to something I am not 100% sure we can deliver).
I'll let you know when everything is ready.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 12:39:59 AM »
Lets see some hints...standing by ready to pledge 8)

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »
Hi guys,
Just to let you know I posted an article on our website about the way we generate the maps in the game, right here.
I thought you may be interested in checking how our board tiles look like :)

Offline mongol

• Nightmare
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
After 1.5 years, finally there are some results.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
Looks Great!! Very Excited!

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
Glad to see some initial groundwork!
Best Regards,