Author Topic: Space Hulk iPad released  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
Space Hulk iPad released
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
Last week Space Hulk was released on iPad. It is of course an important event for us at the studio. Although we are a bit underwhelmed by the digital adaptation, we hope it will be a commercial success. The game suffers from several tech and design issues, and we consider it as a lower benchmark. We know from reading articles here and there that their team is working at fixing the tablet version.

Our design choices (way before the Kickstarter campaign) have been different for LoS, and we thought it would be interesting to pinpoint them for people interested in this kind of games. The article is on our website. As always, we welcome all comments.
http://studio-nyx.com/en/blog

Offline Kindred

• Overlord
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Turtle Shell Productions
Re: Space Hulk iPad released
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
IN general, I agree with your choices over the things chosen by the Space Hulk game.
Especially in today's world, latency is not acceptable in a game.

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:12:01 PM »
It seems like a rushed and hacked version. Doubtless they will fix the situation, but I would be very upset if I'd bought an app and it ran this badly, especially considering the graphically lavish games that can run fine even on older iPads.

Especially if you want players to be able to hook up and play the game, you want rock-solid performance. No mess, no fuss, minimal delays.

I wonder if they will end up removing camera rotate so they can strip some faces out of the models?

It occurs to me that LOS has an advantage in that it has a greatly expanded universe of models, abilities, and factions that could be brought in if the initial release proves successful. This would allow incremental additions to the gameplay over time, like Phoenix, which lets you unlock new ships, to change the play style, for a few dollars.

Offline Romain

• Nightmare
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »
I wonder if they will end up removing camera rotate so they can strip some faces out of the models?
They can't. It is important to be able to rotate as in some views it is possible to miss doors (I remember setting a guy in overwatch, and realizing, too late, that he is facing a door).