rubber-police

Author Topic: Battle Report - Quarterback Sneak scenario  (Read 3713 times)

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
Battle Report - Quarterback Sneak scenario
« on: April 19, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
Much to my delight, a couple people in my gaming group cancelled last night. Why would that excite me, you might ask? Because that left only two of us, and Legions of Steel is a two-player game, of course!

I did my best not to go over-the-top with my desire to play, even going so far as to suggest 3 possibilities for the evening (for the record: Tide of Iron, Earth Reborn and Legions of Steel). My buddy decided on LoS for a few different reasons, not least of which was the fact that I had mentioned it to him before, and spoken highly of it.

With the game chosen, we went about setting up a scenario. I had decided on Quarterback Sneak, the first scenario in the Black Box scenario book. Funny enough, I had never played that scenario before, but I'd heard others speak highly of it. After a brief description of the Machine and UNE factions, I let my gaming companion choose which side he wished to play. He immediately chose the Machines, which was probably a good thing due to their slightly reduced complexity (fewer grenades, no Leadership). As we began setting up tiles, we ran into the first problem of the night: the physical tiles in the copy we were using were a mirror image of those in the map layout from the scenario booklet. I haven't played much for a while, but I dimly remembered running into this problem in the past, so I suggested simply mirroring the map layout, which resolved the problem.

I gave my gaming companion (hereafter referred to by the pseudonym "Bon Jovi" for soon to be obvious reasons) a brief overview of the rules, such that he would know enough to at least be able to ask the right questions at appropriate points in the game. I would also try to explain the rules for everything I chose to do, and why, as we progressed.

It was at this point that I was inspired by the recollection of Gendeljd's recent battle report to take some pictures and attempt an after-action report from my recollections. Hence, this post.

For anyone who doesn't know the scenario, it requires the Commandos to carry a "Seismic Leveler Bomb" into one of four designated rooms on the map. Once there, it can be detonated to destroy the Machine complex and win the game for the Commando player. The Commando player secretly records which figure is carrying the bomb, and it is dropped if that figure is killed. The bomb can then be picked up by either side. If the Machines do so, they can carry it off any map entrance for the win. Eliminating all the Commandos obviously results in a Machine victory, too.

Throughout these posts the top of the images will be referred to as "the right flank" and the bottom of the images will be "the left flank."

UNE Forces:
1x Commando Section, FCL (628 UPV)

Machine Forces:
1 Internal Security Horde, FCL (638 UPV)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:12:19 AM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
Re: Battle Report - Quarterback Sneak scenario
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
Turn One
After pulling miniatures out of storage, we diced for Initiative. I explained the possibility of using Leadership to affect the roll, but declined to do so on the first turn. We tied our first roll with two sixes, and Bon Jovi won the resulting dice-off with a second six! I wondered whether this forshadowed things to come...

Bon Jovi forced me to go first, hoping I would commit in a way that would tip my hand.

I advanced the bulk of my section forward towards the "Great Hall" (as we dubbed the large, central room) at a run, moving one Heavy Weapons Commando up the Machine's flank, and keeping my Corporal and Sergeant in the rear to assign Leadership as needed. The bomb was being carried by one Private Swift, ensconced in the middle of the first room forward from the Commando deployment area.

The Machines split their forces in two, with the bulk entering on the Commando's right flank and heading towards the Great Hall at a run.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »
Turn Two
I won Initiative for the second turn, and forced the Machines to go first, wanting to see them commit to a plan before I did. I also made it clear to Bon Jovi that I was planning to attempt a flip-flop (which I'd explained before we got started when describing Leadership and its uses), Phasing twice in a row.

The Machines consolidated their positions around the Great Hall, including destroying a door so they could be Covering the Hall and its approaches. It was during this process that we realised we'd mistaken which rooms were potential bomb destinations (due to mirroring the map), and that the lone room on the Commandos' left flank was, in fact, a viable detonation site. The Machines were weak on that flank, leaving a potential opening for the Commandos to exploit. Realising this, Bon Jovi immediately diverted his Assault Fiend and an additional Nightmare to attempt to reinforce. He also expressed his belief that my Sergeant was carrying the bomb, needling me to see if he could get some sign of who had it.

As I realised the Machines were shifting focus to block the Sergeant from moving up the Commandos left flank, I decided to try and fake out my opponent. I would move five Commandos (including the Sergeant and a Heavy Weapons Trooper) hard left. Their goal would be to look like they were pushing for the objective while doing as much damage to the Machines as possible. In the meantime, the smaller group (including the Corporal, Private Swift, and the other Heavy Weapons Trooper) would attempt to punch through whatever was left on the Commandos right flank and sneak through for the win. What can I say? It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Here's where I started making mistakes that would cost me later. I used most of my Leadership to help move the push on the left, including dropping a Forcewall grenade by a Great Hall door in an attempt to avoid being flanked later myself. This let me move on the right, but left me unable to set up Surpression down that long right-flank corridor. I didn't think this was so bad at the time because I was still thinking I'd have my next turn (Phasing twice in a row) to do so...
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »
Turn Three
Here's where the first serious mistake of the game was made: we were so busy yakking about other things that we blew past the Initiative step of turn three, simply allowing the Machines to go next without rolling. While this didn't decide the game on its own, the consequences were significant.

The Machines tightened the noose. Moving a Nightmare from the Commandos right flank into the Great Hall, they shot out (using Autofire) a key door on the opposite side. The remaining Nightmares around the room then moved into positions Covering the Great Hall, which Bon Jovi dubbed, "The Zone of Death."

Two more Nightmares set up Covering positions on the Commandos left flank, one behind the other (the 40k speed counter was used for kneeling). This would also prove to be a problem later, as there would be two opposite corners between the Covering Nightmares and the approaching Commandos, and it never even occured to me to mention it.

Over on the Commandos right, the lead Nightmare proceeded to Kneel, then casually blow away the intervening door with Autofire (we forgot the -1 General Modifier for Doors), while the Nightmare behind him set up Supression to the end of the hall, effectively pinning down the Commandos on the right!

All the while the Assault Fiend and another Nightmare rushed for the left flank.

It was at this point that we realised we'd skipped rolling for Initiative for the Turn, and I realised the UNE was in deep trouble. I was now facing significant, dug-in firepower on both flanks, and would need to take serious risks to continue the advance. We decided that I would simply go next, and we'd handle Initiative correctly on the next turn.

Throwing caution to the wind I charged two Commandos into the blind spot beside the Nightmares on the left, eliminating both of them by Displaced Throwing two K-pulse grenades down the hall. It was at this point that a serious disagreement erupted; my opponent felt that grenades were ridiculously overpowered. His feelings revolved around Displaced Throwing (don't need to expose yourself to fire), multi-square area of effect, and scatter (allowing it to still land in the "missed" target square). I'll try and cover this without mis-representing him.

The first major complaint was with Displaced Throwing, which allowed the Commandos to get very close without being exposed to Covering fire. This was exacerbated by my failure to warn him that I would be able to advance my Commandos without being shot at, due to the "two-corner rule" for LOF. No doubt I should've just let him take the shot, but I'm not even sure he would have, given that I'd already explained the rule.

The next problem he had was with the idea that you could Miss your throw, and still hit the target square. Not only that, but that the odds were so high (33%). I pointed out this was only because the throws were all down a narrow corridor, and the walls prevented deflection to the sides. It was at this point that the discussion really got out of hand, as he started comparing grenades to Firing, and how missed shots couldn't ricochet into the original target. I tried to point out the difference between on object lobbed 20' and high-speed ballistic projectiles, but he was having none of it. This led to...

Complaints about the effectiveness of grenades were next. Not only were they far too accurate, but their AOE made them way better than any gun. I tried to argue that there were only specific circumstances under which they were the better option (and that only 6 Commandos had one each), but he began to argue that it was unfair (I may be putting words in his mouth here) that the Commandos had these amazing grenades, when all he had were Nachtmachers that couldn't kill anything. In retrospect this argument is non-sensical on its own, as asymmetrical forces are going to be (by definition) better in some areas, and not in others. If the Machines had grenades in addition to their long-range firepower, Assault Fiend and Nachtmachers, I have no doubt they'd regularly trounce the Commandos. So what? The whole point is that the two sides are roughly equivalent without the Machines having K-pulse grenades. As he began to point out the statistical "proof" of grenades superiority based on the fact that the only figures of his I'd killed were both with grenades (believe me, as a comp-sci PHd student he knows better than this claptrap), I gave up on convincing him otherwise.

At this point I was growing decidedly uncomfortable (unusual for me) with this whole argument, particularly because I was feeling like I had coerced him into playing a game he was obviously hating. In my head I vowed I would never play LoS with him again. This entire mess completely distracted me from the remainder of my turn, which I really just wanted to get over with. I botched my original plans for the right flank, wasting another Forcewall to Supression in the process. I moved the remainder of my Commandos towards the left, but with little hope of pulling things out of the fire (or even of enjoying the game at that point).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:06:46 AM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
Turn Four
We remembered to handle Initiative correctly this turn, and I decided to drop Leadership on winning the roll, hoping that Phasing twice in a row would help me dig myself out of the hole I was in. In the event I won the roll (didn't even need Leadership, with a six) and decided to go first.  I would have to plan carefully, as I'd blown my Sergeant's Leadership on winning Initiative. Too bad that's not what happened, as I made mistake after mistake; I hate to make excuses, but I was rattled by the earlier argument about grenades.

I advanced on my left flank, positioning a Commando and Heavy Weapons Trooper covering the far hall. This foolishly left the Heavy Weapons Trooper's back exposed to the Nightmares in the Great Hall, something I realised several minutes into my turn. I tried to alleviate the problem by blocking the entrance with a Forcewall grenade. My Sergeant moved up as quickly as possible without Leadership (he's alone around the middle of my forces, Covering -2 in the above picture), and I ineffectually shuffled around another Commando and Heavy Weapons Trooper at my rear. I then proceeded with a complex process of shuffling troops around on the right flank in order to Displaced Throw another K-pulse down the corridor in another vain attempt to break the Surpression. It failed. I came to the end of my flip-flop turn having accomplished essentially nothing, other than leaving some of my men exposed.

The Machines attempted to break my Forcewall blockade on the left of the Great Hall, and fortunately failed to do so. They (re)set multiple lines of Supression and continued the inexorable advance of the Assault Fiend. I was now more pinned down that I had been in Turn Three.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:11:18 PM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
Turn Five
I gambled one Leadership from my Sergeant on Initiative, hoping to eke out a win on the roll and prevent the Machines from Phasing twice in a row. Even though I didn't want to use all the Sergeant's Leadership, I won the roll, and went first.

There's no picture for this turn, unfortunately, but here's what happened: my left flank advanced through the twisting corridor, Covering in anticipation of the approaching Nightmare and Assault Fiend. I left the Heavy Weapons Trooper just before the corner and Covering 0 in hopes of pasting the Fiend. The Sergeant and other Commando on the left stayed more or less put (I was still trying to give the impression that the Sergeant had the bomb). I made another attempt on the now doubled Supression on the right flank with a Forcewall, but, while the first Surpression was Blocked, the second blasted through the Forcewall, leaving me still unable to effectively advance. I moved the actual carrier of the bomb (remember Private Swift?) to the middle of the room, considering a run through the Great Hall or towards the left flank. Bon Jovi noticed the move and deduced that this was likely where the bomb really was.

The Machines used their following turn to systematically disassemble my forces. The Nightmares in the Great Hall first shot down my Forcewall blockade on the left, then perforated my Heavy Weapons Trooper standing at the corner with his exposed back to them. The Nightmare that had previously been Surpressing on the left advanced and stepped into view of my Covering Commando who blasted the Nightmare. His triumph was short lived as the Assault Fiend then ran up to him. What happened next was fairly predictable, as the Fiend tore the Commando limb-from-limb.

On the right the Machines maintained their lockdown with double Surpression.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:16:39 PM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »
Turn Six
Desperate times call for desperate measures! I grabbed the Initiative again with Leadership and threw what little I had at the Machines.

I moved a Trooper on my left flank (who survived the Covering Machine's fire) with Leadership from my Corporal (on the right flank) and set up Surpression across the Great Hall with the Surpressed square under the lead Kneeling, Surpressing Nightmare on the Commandos' right flank. This, rather sadly, started another "discussion" about the fact that the Supression would target three Nightmares in LOF, including the one at the back Surpressing down the corridor (which was why I did it). I was told how ridiculous it was that one could fire and hit targets behind, while missing closer enemies, and was asked why everyone wouldn't then shoot at those in the back. No amount of reasoned reply about the difference in scale between the corridors and what they represented, or the fact that this is, in the real world, perfectly possible would help. I gave up trying and my opponent dropped the argument, saying something along the lines of, "Well, those might be the rules, but they're stupid."

I only managed to score a Kill on the closest Nightmare (not entirely surprising), leaving the Surpressing Commando very exposed, and the Machines' "Corridor of Death" intact.

Knowing that the Assault Fiend could now come up behind my Surpressing Commando, I positioned my Sergeant Surpressing the entrance to the room that the Fiend would have to come through, thinking in my head that Hand-to-Hand was what I had to worry about (HA!). Again, what can I say? It was midnight and I wasn't thinking straight any longer.

In a similar vein, I attempted to break the double Surpression on my right with one last Forcewall, and a suicide run by my other Heavy Weapons Trooper. Both failed, and the Heavy Weapons Trooper ended up dead for his troubles. My goose was pretty much cooked.

The Machines responded by punching holes through the Commando Surpressing across the Great Hall from my left (from just outside his line of Surpression), then doing the same for the Corporal on the right. At this point the Assault Fiend ran forward into the Surpression of the Sergeant and stopped. The Sergeant took his shot, but I realised it was in vain, as the Fiend had no intention of engaging in Hand-to-Hand (why would he?). The Sergeant predictably missed, after which the Assault Fiend held a marshmallow roast in his honor.

It was just past midnight at this point (our usual stop time), and I conceded the game.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:36:50 PM by bobloblah »
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline pif

• Gremlin
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
I should start by saying: I am not seeing the pics. If you can't fix that, send me a few, as a reminder.

ok ok ok I am going to respond in the most annoying bad AI cliche ridden "robot voice" possible. I should invent a co-ordinate system or would that be over the top? :o Nah, I'll just play it "robotic" and see what happens. Sweet improvisation, don't fail me now. ;)

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
What's particularly annoying is that it took you joining for anyone to let me know that the pictures weren't showing up. Really? Almost 20 views and noone could take 30 seconds to mention that the images weren't showing up?

BAH!

Anyway, the problem should be fixed now. Looks like it was the permissions I put on the private folder they were in....
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline pif

• Gremlin
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
$>RUN self.o
0000: Turn = 1.
0001: negative advantage on initiative randomization
0002: Comment << This human rolls so slowly it is difficult to believe he is able to find a mate.
0003: activate: Roll(6,6)=inconclusive, activate: Roll(6,1) = Success
0004: randomization beats expectation models: 2.778%
0005: Hold deployment to better weight prediction models.
0006: test: Initial Enemy deployment advantageous
0007:  backtrace verification: verified
0008:    commit?: 857 of 992 models return positive
0009: Concatenate communication outputs. print
>> "Go biological competitor. You are scum."
0010: Run intimidation procedure (3, 0.188122, 68200.11, 88.0, 81.1). print 
>> "Stupid human, I am 99.1138% positive that you didn't predict that. You ass-hat. I see clarification is needed because you are so dummy-stupid. Your hat is precisely your own ass and I think it is very funny as does your friends that is why you have the lowest status in your social group."
0011: Comment << Re-weight and Recompile intimdat-o-tron, subject did not respond as predicted.
0012: Gamma ray burst detected neutrino collection… bountiful.
0013: 11008114740.7820822 lightyear, direction 188191.0, A, 3313.7, F, 22.6
0014: Comment << Stars die and are transfigured and still this human has yet to finish the task of scratching his balls. Our superiority is proven, yet again.
|| Truncated ||
0115: wake
0116: Biological competitor revealed very little strategy.
0117: Run intimidation procedure (2, 0.188422, 8249.14, 8.0001, 81.1000001). print 
>> "There is inconclusive evidence with respect to your male progenitor. I hate you."
0118: deployment evaluation inconclusive.
0119: Objective: Maximum velocity to suppression points.
0120: Objective: Maximize line of sight -- open all doors
0121: deploy mainforce -- unit ff73e00719, unit ff73e00710, unit ff73e0071a, unit ff73e0071b, unit ff73e0071c, unit ff73e0071d, unit 1000f626
0122: deploy weak flank force -- unit ff73e0071e, unit ff73e0071f, unit ff73e00720, unit ff73e00721
0123: innovate_thread-11799: alternate strategy: negotiating peace terms.
0666: <RESTRICTED ACCESS> qubit-check . . . confirmed
0124: terminate "innovate_thread-11799"
0125: reset
0126: reset
0127: reset
0128: return initiative randomization.
0129: end turn 1

Offline Hoboman

• Nightmare
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
What's particularly annoying is that it took you joining for anyone to let me know that the pictures weren't showing up. Really? Almost 20 views and noone could take 30 seconds to mention that the images weren't showing up?

BAH!

Anyway, the problem should be fixed now. Looks like it was the permissions I put on the private folder they were in....
I think each time you visit it counds as a seperate view. So at least the first 7 views would be you posting the "reply" posts  ;)

In any case, the game looks great and it is a nice AAR. Well done.
What do you mean I lost another battle?

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »
I was hoping you wouldn't mention that!
 ;)
I am aware of that. Nevertheless, there were nearly 20 views without mine.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
I saw nothing to indicate a missing image.

Nice AAR, also enjoying the machine..... "perspective". Failed intimidation routines are part of the LOS canon. Cannon. Whatever; the one that isn't a gun.

Offline bobloblah

• Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
I saw nothing to indicate a missing image.
Okay, good. Seems to be sorted out now in any case.

My opponent had a lot of fun with the Machine perspective. And, as it turns out, he enjoyed the game a lot, too. It hadn't seemed like it at the time, but he claims he was just invested in the result. Hopefully that means another convert to the fold. I think we're going to try and introduce another friend to the game in a couple weeks, and I was thinking we'd go for the "Into The Mix" scenario from the Alien Sourcebook. It's basically a King of the Hill setup, and works with 2-6 players. I'll try and grab some pictures and notes from that game, too.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
I didn't have any problems with images. Great report!!!