rubber-police

Author Topic: LoS video game  (Read 4256 times)

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
LoS video game
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »
So, I just tried out the demo for the new 40k Space Marine game... which was not too bad... & it got me to dreaming about LoS.

I always thought Legions could make for a fantastic video game. PLENTY of armies & characters ready made for adaptation... After seeing the 40k game turn out ok, I would love to see someone pick up the license to develop LoS onto a console platform. It would probably be a great way to get the game some new recognition too, beyond the current [waning?] gaming crowd... which would only help make it more likely to see the tabletop game get back out there successfully too.
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
Re: LoS video game
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »
I agree..done right this would be awesome!

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:59:48 AM »
Well, a Console or PC game would take revnue to make.

A Facebook version would take less but might be a launch point.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »
What about going the usual route? Use success of the boardgame to license the IP to a game company.
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:38:02 PM »
Isnt there a turn based game you can import your own icons and rules into? I think some people are playing Warmachine or even Warhammer 40K with it. Its a top down view...I cant put my finger on the name

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Turn it into a Facebook game! WOOOO! Well, maybe not "wooo" but it would sure get some exposure.

Offline YojimboUsaka

• Nightmare
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Legions_of_Steel

I did a VASSAL module a few years ago so I could play with some friends who lived back in the States (I am currently in Japan).  Worked fairly well and could be used with hidden movement but still required a third person to GM the game for that.  One-on-one it worked very well.  Lots of short-cuts for movement and other stuff though.

Yoj

Offline bobloblah

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
Very cool! I'm downloading as I write this. Does it include any races beyond UNE and Machines?
Best Regards,
Bobloblah

Offline YojimboUsaka

• Nightmare
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:21:07 AM »
I did a couple of images for the other races but kind of lost steam before getting them put in.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:02:33 AM »
Vassal..thats it!!

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 05:00:39 AM »
First: read my post: "UPDATE"

Second: what is VASSAL?

Third: If LOS was a video game I would base it on Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. 

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »

Offline mongol

• Nightmare
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
Let the fans develop LoS on Vassal. I would look at a ipad app. This game is simple enough to develop and add in AI component.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 11:37:15 PM »
VASSAL is free and open source so I figure I should leave it up to anyone to adapt Legions of Steel for it.  Hey, if they can put Steve Gibson style Dalecks and Imperial troops into it, I'm all for it.

If, and that is a big IF, LOS was going to be something like a first person shooter, then I would look to Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon.  Apparently there is a group that calls themselves "NATO" who are programmers that mod these games, but I have not approached them. Second choice for an FPS would be CounterStrike.

As an RTS then I would look to something like Starcraft although I think the "Age of..." series is much more elegant but anachronistic in setting.

As discussed elsewhere, there are now talks of an iPad game.  VASSAL will encounter some of the same problems with leadership and covering fire due to their interrupt nature.

Offline grendeljd

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
An iPad version of the game is an exciting idea indeed... as long as it could be an iPhone game too ;)

A Starcraft style RTS is a great starting point - that would play out the surface battles of Planetstorm, although I don't think I'd want to see an LoS game that generates armies via building up forces & bases... maybe use the basic graphics structure of something like starcraft but have set scenarios/objectives & set armies per game.

How difficult would it be to map out underground complex tunnel scenarios but keep that isometric type of perspective? I think that a flat overhead look would be too basic/simplistic to be appealing - you would want to showcase the character designs as best as possible even on a tiny screen like an iPhone...

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops!!!
I hate people generally, but I like them specifically - John Malkovich