News: Clark has announced that he has started to post old LoS content (in the Media Gallery section), and will be posting more plus new content!

Author Topic: Here is a thought on increase short term revenue  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
Here is a thought on increase short term revenue
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
To Clark,

Since we seem to be a solid and loyal fan base and in several posts you have mentioned how certain characters and races came about, why not consider the following for some start up resource cash.

Allow fans to name a character for X amount with the more the amount the more important the character is in the LOS world

$100, you get to choose the race, figure and name. The history, rank, and what happen to the character is up to the designers (Clark)
$200, you get to choose the race, figure and name and the history (with in reason of the LOS world) and rank up to Sgt or Lt (or racial equivalent).
$500, you get to choose the race, figure and name and the history (with in reason of the LOS world) and rank up to Master Sgt or Col (or racial equivalent).
For $250 extra above any of the above prices, you can determine (with in reason) what battles/actions the character was in and if they are still alive

For group rates (more than one figure at a time),
$500, you can name a typical squad, section, horde, etc of a race and name each figure in that unit. This only applies to typical Planetstorm units. History of the unit is up to the designers
$1000, you can name a typical squad (etc) of a race, name each figure, and develop a history of the unit. What happens to the unit is determined by the designers
$5000, you can name platoon, horde, war party (up to 1500 pts or designers can allow more in the case of UNE troops) to include a brief history of the unit (with in the limits of LOS universe)

Of course there might be some other things that could be offered in this fashion.

EDIT
Oh, and anyone can respond to this thread. I just addressed it to Clark mainly because LOS/Planetstorm is his to do with as he sees fit. ;)
END EDIT

Dave Chase
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:32:17 PM by Dave Chase »
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
Re: Here is a thought
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
Not sure how that would go over.  A variation on that would be for a fan to commission new art and tell the artist the name, race, rank etc and a one or two line description, then let the artist run with it.  But that would be up to the artists.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
Re: Here is a thought
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »
Well that could be even cooler to have artwork to go with the named character.

I don't know what the going rate is for line artwork is, but maybe that could be an extra for the fan.

Plus the artwork would be available for the designers (Clark) to put in future publications.

Dave Chase

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
Re: Here is a thought on increase short term revenue
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »
Well, I guess this line of thought is a bust. Seems no one else has any pros or cons or thoughts on it.

(sigh)

Dave Chase

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
I personally wasn't mentioning anything out of respect for your idea. 

But if you want any kind of feedback,  to me it smacks too much of Palladium's shameless money-begging ploy from a few years ago.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:33:41 PM »

But if you want any kind of feedback,  to me it smacks too much of Palladium's shameless money-begging ploy from a few years ago.

??

Can you elaborate. I didn't know about that one. I like the Palladium books but I am not a keen follower of the game company.

Dave Chase

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »
I suspect that Dave is a free speech advocate like myself so we tend to be in favour of getting people to say stuff, even if its not really what I wanted to hear.

How about we leave this up for another week and see if anyone sees some merit it in, then delete it if not?

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
Sounds fine with me.

I look at asking questions this way, the worst you can do is say no. ;)

Dave Chase

Offline sergeant_hastp

• Succubot
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »

??

Can you elaborate. I didn't know about that one. I like the Palladium books but I am not a keen follower of the game company.

Dave Chase

A couple years back, Palladium was 'going under'.  Kevin Siembieda the all-knowing, all-doing, all-powerful pooh-bah trusted an employee and he took off with all the funds. (Or he ran it into the ground himself like the micro-manager he is, by refusing to adapt his games...and then would not accept responsibility for it and found a cape goat....either or, my money would be on #2.)

Anyway, he starts putting out all these notices and e-mails urging everyone who ever played Palladium games to save Palladium games, by donating as much money as you can.  For donations over $50 you would get a signed piece of line art by the mighty-super-awesome one himself mailed to you, plus you could buy 'grab bags' of miscellaneous Palladium stuff (read: junk that never sold.)

For those who donated over $100 or $200 or whatever (I don't remember specifics) then you would get your name published in 'The Heroes of the Megaverse'  which I guess was just a page, with all the names in a list of people who shilled out the money.

Apparently, it 'worked' because Palladium is still around, but for months and even years afterward, the notices he put out kept saying 'we are doing okay for now...but we're not out of it yet...please keep supporting Palladium...buy as much as you can...donations always welcome....blah blah blah...'

Yes, I used to be a Palladium gamer, starting with Robotech and then into Rifts...but I finally had to say WTF!?? (for a lot of reasons.  Now, I admit, I greatly dislike Palladium.

Anyways, these ploys to set Palladium up like some sort of charity organization really irked me and other people I talked to about it.

I know you weren't intending it to be like that, but there is definitely the phantom of Palladium hanging over the idea for me at least.

More detail here...maybe: (I can't be bothered to read the drivel again.)

http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?t=57048

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:57:43 PM »
Ah, thanks for the general rundown. I had heard bits and pieces but did not know the whole story.

I also had Robotech and Pallidium RPG, but I had one better, I have a set of the original Mechnoids, which in my mind is still one of the best things he produced.

Kevin never seemed like much of a bad guy to me, money and fame hungry. :)

I actually got the basic idea from years ago from MMO, on buying a locations name.
Even in some upcomiong MMO's it is discussed as a possible way to buy some fame, instead of buying powerful weapons, armor, skills that make you better than everyone else.

:)

Thanks again for sharing your pain. ;)

Dave Chase

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
How about pre-ordering re-sculpts or new miniatures or new books, etc?

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »
Actually, Siembeida's attitudes were why we got Kevin Long  for some art...

Upon reflection, I really can't see the idea working very well.  The amount you would have to "charge" to make it matter on Clark's end would be way more than most people would find it worth having their name on a figure or in a story/illustration.

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »
Actually, Siembeida's attitudes were why we got Kevin Long  for some art...

Upon reflection, I really can't see the idea working very well.  The amount you would have to "charge" to make it matter on Clark's end would be way more than most people would find it worth having their name on a figure or in a story/illustration.

LOL

That depends on the popularity of the game. In MageKnight and especially MechWarrior:Darkage, we had people clamoring for the right to name figures.
Some of the old BattleTech fans wanted to pay to have certain names for some figures.
(Official, we never did accept payment for figures, but, there were some figures named by players {unofficially} )

Dave Chase

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
Hm. If memory serves, Marco asked fans to invest in the company right before GG went under. If those same fans were asked to contribute again, having seen their investment evaporate with no chance of re-couping it...I don't know, if it was me it would really piss me off. 

Please correct me if I'm mis-remembering.

Offline Nukelavee

• Nightmare
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
He did get some outside investment, from people who played, but it was as an investment, not a donation.

But, yeah, I don't know they'd be willing to do it again.