Author Topic: Battlecards  (Read 5118 times)

Offline SgtHulka

• Predator
Re: Battlecards
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
They also have 3-D effect markers that would work well for SS-2000 bursts, nachtmachers, prometheus bombs, etc.:

http://www.litkoaero.com/categories/Tokens-%26-Markers/Blast-Burn-Smoke/

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
I saw those, but can they be customized?

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 07:36:55 AM »
If you want to order a quantity, I'm pretty sure they will custom-cut whatever you want. It's just a matter of feeding the data into their laser cutter, as far as I know, to create pretty much any shape.

Offline Vok Ytalinov

• Nightmare
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »
Depending on how you feel about board or tabletop clutter, it's pretty easy to go to a dollar store or Wal Mart and pick up a cheap set of plastic poker chips and a Shar-pei marker.  If you're feeling moderately creative and are over 18, add three cans of different shades of green aerosol paint and one blue can and you're in business.  That's how I made blip tokens for extra sets of tournament Space Hulk.  If pennies weren't so hard to pick up, at least for sausage fingered Fantasians like myself, they'd be the cheapest way to go, and if non-slotted plastic bases were easier to find, they'd work too.  As for cards, the actual topic of this thread I guess, I like them a lot for initiative, but they do clutter the board and detract from the overall aesthetic.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »
With the possible exception of the Behemoth because of its multiple fire actions and weapon systems, the counters never bothered me or messed with my suspension of disbelief when you looked at the board.  If anything, they added interest because you could look at the board, mid turn, and instantly see what was going on.  But yes, having an initiative card plopped in the middle of a unit - even a 1/4 sized mini card - is a bit distracting.  But my suggestion is to keep them at the back of the playing area, in line with your unit position.

Custom battlecards are not difficult to do logistically.  Avery makes pre-cut business cards on 8-1/2"x11" card stock.  The difficultly is in commissioning 54 pieces of artwork on a shoestring budget.

We may have to rely on DIY counters and map templates until we can get the standard ones back into print.

Dave thinks that cheating with cards is a concern; does anyone else have an opinion or an anecdote? Maybe I am that naive, but I don't recall any gamers so desperate that they tried cheating (and got caught, I guess).

Offline Dave Chase

• Succubot
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
Well, I might be a bit bias since I was the Overlord of all WizKids, LLC games and tournaments and I did see many ways that some (not all and not even a majority) would attempt.

The biggest issue was how it effected some of the new players. Some of these new players had attempted GamesWorkshop games and have been turned off by the brashness and over bearing and know-it-all rule mongers that would take a new player through the meatgrinder, spit them out and stomp on them.

Then when they attempted another popular or fun looking game and saw some cheat, it was just one more turn off.

For 3e or any other game you produc to succeed, you will need new players (blood) and though I don't want to pamper them, I don't want to turn them away over something as silly as a cheater.

Plus, since Poker has become more popular over the last decade, I have seen many more individuals who can shuffle a deck and influence the outcome of the cards. Old Magic players were (are) very good at that and sometimes when they dealt they won.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the right to speak your mind.

It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.

Offline Clark

• Overlord
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:12:05 PM »
Marco an I have a story where uchre was all in the rage at the university pub.  A couple of girls pestered us to play them and we finally relented on an agreement between me and him to cheat.  I dealt myself bowers off the bottom while a cheap hand signal arrangement let us lead with our best.  We slammed them 10-1 an 10-2 but I don't recall if we fessed up before we f***ed off.

Offline Scoutzout

• Succubot
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 12:40:58 AM »
Dakka Dakka is 40K heavy but are starting to expand into Flames of War, Hordes/Iron Kingdoms

Some of the modeling and conversion work is amazing

Offline smokingwreckage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Mk III Assault Fiend
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 07:36:50 AM »
Yeah I have a report from a game of Defiance I ran some years ago that one player was messing with the initiative deck. OTOH we also found that with squads activating higgeldy-piggeldy and various effects and affects to be tidied up and resolved at the end of a full turn, the deck doubled to keep track of where the turn was up to. We stopped referring to turns and phases and started referring to "once thru the initiative deck". You could leave a game and come back without causing a problem even in largish games. Which squads have moved? The ones in the discard pile. Who moves next? Whoever comes up. It actually simplified that aspect of the game a lot.